NYC GDC, DPW, or PW for Lit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC GDC, DPW, or PW for Lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:32 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC GDC, DPW, or PW for Lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 pm

DPW over GDC in New York for lit, particularly with the AUSA goals. Davis is one of the best, if not the best, revolving door with EDNY and SDNY USAOs. All the major partners in the white collar group were recent transplants

Gibson has the superior litigation practice nationwide, but the cache (and most prominent partnership) is focused in the LA and DC offices.

Paul, Weiss is obviously top notch for NY lit. But considering your friend's fit preferences, it shouldn't still be in the running.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm surprised there would be such a difference between fit at DPW and PW. What about DPW did they think was such a good fit that could not be found at PW?

The reason I ask is, I would give serious thought to PW given AUSA goals. Do they have a particular focus within white collar / prosecution that interests them? Like DPW, many if not most of PW's recently made partners were all former DOJ/SDNY/EDNY. They each bring something different to the table. Lorin Reisner, for example, was chief of SDNY criminal division. Rich Tarlowe (made partner last year) was chief of SDNY complex fraud and cybercrime. I was a summer at PW so am less familiar with the experience of DPW's partners. But given that both firms have strong SDNY/EDNY ties--and are very large, arguably with enough attorneys that anyone can find their niche within the firm--I would consider assessing the firms more granularly based on your friend's white collar interests. I can't speak to DPW, but summers at PW were encouraged to reach out to whichever partners they wanted to work with and the firm seemed very supportive of developing associates with the aim of eventually helping them become an AUSA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised there would be such a difference between fit at DPW and PW. What about DPW did they think was such a good fit that could not be found at PW?

I'm choosing between these three for lit as well and also curious on perspectives. Fit was GDC >> PW >>>>>>>>>>> DPW. Goes to show how much one can really glean from any one visit.

Return to “Legal Employment�