WLRK

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NCcls2019

New

WLRK

Postby NCcls2019 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:52 pm

2L here debating these options. I would appreciate any information regarding associate life at any of these firms that would help me make a more informed decision.
Last edited by NCcls2019 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: WLRK NY v WilmerHale DC v Susman TX v Gibson Dunn LA

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 pm

You gotta give us something more to understand what you want out of your experience. But if you want to have any kind of life outside of work, WLRK is not the right choice.

NCcls2019

New

WLRK

Postby NCcls2019 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:You gotta give us something more to understand what you want out of your experience. But if you want to have any kind of life outside of work, WLRK is not the right choice.

I guess the issue is that I am not sure what I want from it.
What type of information would be helpful? Basically, I am hoping to hear from former/current associates regarding how they enjoyed their experience at one of the mentioned firms and what they would counsel someone in my position to do with what they know now.
Last edited by NCcls2019 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Postby ResIpsa21 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Assuming you're looking for a firm to return to after law school, Gibson LA will offer you the best quality of life, hands down. Gibson has a good reputation among V20 firms for its reasonable workload and non-psychotic partners, and that's doubly true on the west coast. WilmerHale is a great firm too. You'll probably work a little more than you would at Gibson LA, and you're more likely to do a lot of DC-esque type stuff, for better or worse (regulatory, white collar, etc.). Susman and WLRK are god-awful sweatshops, but I suppose if you eat, sleep, and dream nothing but preftige, have at it. Partnership prospects are better at Susman than WLRK if you're that type of person, but query whether you want to live and work in Texas (especially in Houston, in light of recent events . . .).

Long story short, you need to think harder (or tell us more) about what kind of work you want to do and what city you want to live in. NYC and DC have some similarities but they're both very different from LA, which in turn is very different from TX. This isn't just a decision of which downtown high-rise office building you want to take the subway to every day -- you're talking about completely different lifestyles and career paths.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Is Susman still offering 4-week splits? If so, you should def split with Susman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:29 pm

ResIpsa21 wrote:Assuming you're looking for a firm to return to after law school, Gibson LA will offer you the best quality of life, hands down. Gibson has a good reputation among V20 firms for its reasonable workload and non-psychotic partners, and that's doubly true on the west coast. WilmerHale is a great firm too. You'll probably work a little more than you would at Gibson LA, and you're more likely to do a lot of DC-esque type stuff, for better or worse (regulatory, white collar, etc.). Susman and WLRK are god-awful sweatshops, but I suppose if you eat, sleep, and dream nothing but preftige, have at it. Partnership prospects are better at Susman than WLRK if you're that type of person, but query whether you want to live and work in Texas (especially in Houston, in light of recent events . . .).

Long story short, you need to think harder (or tell us more) about what kind of work you want to do and what city you want to live in. NYC and DC have some similarities but they're both very different from LA, which in turn is very different from TX. This isn't just a decision of which downtown high-rise office building you want to take the subway to every day -- you're talking about completely different lifestyles and career paths.

OP said that "would like to leave to either go in-house or go work at a hedge fund/VC shop. I am a JD/MBA so would like to be able to use the MBA a bit as well during my day-to-day," so wouldn't that point to WLRK?

NCcls2019

New

Postby NCcls2019 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Mullens wrote:Is Susman still offering 4-week splits? If so, you should def split with Susman.

It is my understanding that they are - you think a WLRK + Susman split is the move?

To all - maybe I will just illuminate my current train of thought to round out my incentives. I am thinking that WLRK is the move because it will make me the best corporate lawyer the fastest. It pays more. I can handle the grind for 2-3 years. The exit ops appear to be the best (not sure). I want to be a very valuable + sought-after person in whatever sphere I go into.. whether that is corp or lit. I also enjoy intellectual matters and feel that the people at WLRK do as well. I want a place that is work hard.... (no play hard). I am married and we both have student loans.

Location does not matter to me in the least. The only difference that makes a large impact is the cost of living, but I feel that the extra money from WLRK alleviates the concern with the high cost of living in NYC.

Gibson might be nice but LA is expensive and I think I would be stuck on the west coast. Same for WilmerHale - but that I would also be stuck in government work. I think that I can lateral any of these places from WLRK anyways, so why bother going there first? Susman is great and the obvious outlier but feel that it may be too nice for my taste - though that money in Houston would be marvelous. Also worth considering the recovery time for Houston as a whole.

Anything I am missing or wrong about?
Last edited by NCcls2019 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCcls2019

New

Postby NCcls2019 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm

NCcls2019 wrote:
Mullens wrote:Is Susman still offering 4-week splits? If so, you should def split with Susman.

It is my understanding that they are - you think a WLRK + Susman split is the move?

To all - maybe I will just illuminate my current train of thought to round out my incentives. I am thinking that WLRK is the move because it will make me the best corporate lawyer the fastest. It pays more. I can handle the grind for 2-3 years. The exit ops appear to be the best (not sure). I am not tied to corporate work but just want to become a very valuable + sought-after person in whatever sphere I go into.. whether that is corp or lit. I also enjoy intellectual matters and feel that the people at WLRK do as well. I want a place that is work hard.... (no play hard). I am married and we both have student loans.

Location does not matter to me in the least. The only difference that makes a large impact is the cost of living, but I feel that the extra money from WLRK alleviates the concern with the high cost of living in NYC.

Gibson might be nice but LA is expensive and I think I would be stuck on the west coast. Same for WilmerHale - but that I would also be stuck in government work. I think that I can lateral any of these places from WLRK anyways, so why bother going there first? Susman is great and the obvious outlier but feel that it may be too nice for my taste - though that money in Houston would be marvelous. Also worth considering the recovery time for Houston as a whole.

Niche*

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Postby ResIpsa21 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks for elaborating. I think your reasoning is pretty solid. WLRK would definitely give you the best corporate exit options of virtually any firm in the USA. I also agree that WLRK gives you the best mobility, although you should know that lateral moves aren't quite as simple as you suggested. Yes, in theory any corporate group would be interested in a WLRK associate, but that doesn't mean they'll be hiring when you're looking, and some non-NYC offices will be suspicious about your plans for the future (e.g., maybe you just want to play around in Los Angeles for a couple years and leave). I haven't worked for any of these firms so hopefully you'll also get input ITT from current associates or alums, but I support WLRK as your top pick.

A couple other notes . . . speaking as a former V30 litigation associate in DC, you're right to pick corporate over litigation and to stay away from Susman and WilmerHale. Unless you feel a personal desire to litigate cases (discovery, motions, trial, etc.) I'd say corporate is a more positive and comfortable way to go. Plus, your JD/MBA will benefit you much more in corporate than litigation. Susman is a litigation boutique and WilmerHale doesn't do much for you outside DC (and I suppose Boston). Neither of those offer what it sounds like you want. I leave Gibson LA in the conversation because it's still a nationally respected firm and maybe you're the type who would love SoCal -- LA is actually much cheaper than NYC, and some people appear fond of the warmth and sunshine. You could summer there and find out.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 pm

If you want to go in-house, definitely WLRK. Those other firms are primarily (or for Susman, exclusively) litigation shops, and it's easier to go in-house from a corporate practice.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 pm

NCcls2019 wrote:

To all - maybe I will just illuminate my current train of thought to round out my incentives. I am thinking that WLRK is the move because it will make me the best corporate lawyer the fastest. It pays more. I can handle the grind for 2-3 years. The exit ops appear to be the best (not sure). I am not tied to corporate work but just want to become a very valuable + sought-after person in whatever sphere I go into.. whether that is corp or lit. I also enjoy intellectual matters and feel that the people at WLRK do as well. I want a place that is work hard.... (no play hard). I am married and we both have student loans.

Yeah I recommend doing a Susman and WLRK split and then going to WLRK after graudation based on everything you said in this thread. It gives you four extra weeks of pay over the summer and another prestigious firm line on your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am

OP here -- I took the WLRK.

Return to “Legal Employment�