(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

NY Transactional Tax SA

Davis Polk
70%
Latham
No votes
Sullivan & Cromwell
30%
Kirkland
No votes

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NY Transactional Tax

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

My personal experience is that DPW and S&C are better than the other two. Both have broad and well-regarded tax practices. Both have banks as cornerstone clients (JP Morgan/Morgan Stanley for DPW, Goldman for S&C).

To my mind, the main differences are cultural and geographical. Geographically, I'd do S&C if you wanted to move downtown or in Brooklyn, while DPW is good for a commute from Westchester. Culturally, DPW is sometimes described as "genteel," which I think is fairly accurate--people are polite and nice, and my impression is that the hours are slightly better than S&C.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Tax at dpw is boring as fuck. Enjoy structured products and shelf takedowns x 10000

Out of these options I'd do s&c

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:14 pm

I'd do S&C or Kirkland, depending on the environment you want. Kirkland NY just added Jared Rusman, who was a WLRK partner before he was at Weil.

ETA: I've heard from multiple tax lawyers who are gung-ho about "deals" that DPW focused on financial products and they thought this would be somewhat boring. Definitely nothing wrong with choosing them though. They have smart tax folks.
Last edited by unlicensedpotato on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:26 pm

DPW and S&C both have great tax groups. I would say DPW based on the reputation of the firm in general.

Return to “Legal Employment�