Not accepting an offer until near the deadline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not accepting an offer until near the deadline

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 pm

2L here with a couple of offers, one of which will be expiring in a couple of weeks. What's the consensus on accepting an offer close to the 28-day deadline? (i.e. 3-4 days before the deadline). One of my offers has been running for a couple of weeks, and I'm really leaning toward this firm, but I want to do second looks at the other firms that I recently got offers from. Could it hurt me down the line if I accept the offer near the deadline? It doesn't seem like there's a consensus here on TLS, though I did see a couple of posts that said something along the lines of firms will remember if they're not your first pick.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Not accepting an offer until near the deadline

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

The firm will probably not remember by the time you start your SA and definitely won't care by the time you actually start as an associate. If you asked for multiple extensions they might be annoyed, but taking most of your 4 weeks isn't a big deal

zhenders

Silver

Re: Not accepting an offer until near the deadline

Postby zhenders » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:01 pm

This is fine; just make sure to turn down all offers you know you won't accept as soon as you know. Holding on to offers you have already decided against is very bad form all around, and ultimately hurts everyone. Holding on because you're still deciding is quite acceptable.

Return to “Legal Employment�