Working during school year before SA 2018?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working during school year before SA 2018?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

2L with SA offer for 2018 that I've accepted. I am looking at law clerk positions to earn a little bit of money. Do I need to notify my summer job of this for any reason, particularly conflicts? One position I am considering is an in house company. I have no intention of working there after graduation or leaving my firm, I just want to make a little bit of money while I can. Thank you.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Working during school year before SA 2018?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L with SA offer for 2018 that I've accepted. I am looking at law clerk positions to earn a little bit of money. Do I need to notify my summer job of this for any reason, particularly conflicts? One position I am considering is an in house company. I have no intention of working there after graduation or leaving my firm, I just want to make a little bit of money while I can. Thank you.

Your SA firm will send you conflict forms to fill out the closer you get to your summer. Unless you know that there definitely would be a conflict, go make money. I would think an in-house position would be even less of a conflict than working at some plaintiff's law firm.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Working during school year before SA 2018?

Postby Mullens » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L with SA offer for 2018 that I've accepted. I am looking at law clerk positions to earn a little bit of money. Do I need to notify my summer job of this for any reason, particularly conflicts? One position I am considering is an in house company. I have no intention of working there after graduation or leaving my firm, I just want to make a little bit of money while I can. Thank you.

My firm just sends out conflicts before your 2L SA and then requests you to pre-clear conflicts for any work done as a 3L after you accept a full-time offer to return (other than law school-related clinic work). You don't need to reach out to the firm before your SA.

I would just be a little smart about it. For example, if you accepted a 2L SA at a plaintiffs' firm famous for suing BP, don't go work in-house at BP as a 2L. If you're going a biglaw firm then you're probably fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�