180K firm in the middle of nowhere or 130-150K firm in NY?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Graybrow

New

Re: 180K firm in the middle of nowhere or 130-150K firm in NY?

Postby Graybrow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I apologize for being unclear. To be simple, I was referring to states like Ohio, Kansas, Indiana as "middle of nowhere." Sorry if I offended anyone. I've only lived in LA, NY, and DC. I guess I was being a snob here.

About the practice area, I want to do tax/corporate law and both of the firms are known for tax/corp in the area. It seems like most of you guys are considering money first but for me it's more about my career outlook than anything.. I would really like to move back to LA or NY after 2-3 years.

My gut intuition is that it'll be easier going from the 180k firm in bumblefuck to NYC or CA than it will be from 155k in NYC. If the 180k firm is like Jones Day in Cleveland or Skadden in Wilmington, the name of the firm will help you lateral easier than being at a mediocre firm in New York.

Anyone feel free to correct me if my intuitions are off.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:There are no $180k jobs in the middle of nowhere and I have five to one OP is referring to St. Louis or something like that.

My literal #1 metric in deciding which firm to pick was where I could make NYC market and pay the lowest cost of living. I did a ton of research at the time, and I don't believe STL has any market-paying firms. Could be wrong! I ended up in Denver, and feel like I'm cheating.

Dowd Bennett

Dowd doesn't have a transactional practice though so OP probably isn't looking there...

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am

Graybrow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I apologize for being unclear. To be simple, I was referring to states like Ohio, Kansas, Indiana as "middle of nowhere." Sorry if I offended anyone. I've only lived in LA, NY, and DC. I guess I was being a snob here.

About the practice area, I want to do tax/corporate law and both of the firms are known for tax/corp in the area. It seems like most of you guys are considering money first but for me it's more about my career outlook than anything.. I would really like to move back to LA or NY after 2-3 years.

My gut intuition is that it'll be easier going from the 180k firm in bumblefuck to NYC or CA than it will be from 155k in NYC. If the 180k firm is like Jones Day in Cleveland or Skadden in Wilmington, the name of the firm will help you lateral easier than being at a mediocre firm in New York.

Jones Day doesn't pay first years $180K in Cleveland. To me, the most interesting part of this thread is figuring out what firm in Ohio, Kansas, or Indiana pays big-law market salaries.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am

rpupkin wrote:
Graybrow wrote:

Jones Day doesn't pay first years $180K in Cleveland. To me, the most interesting part of this thread is figuring out what firm in Ohio, Kansas, or Indiana pays big-law market salaries.

OP said states like Ohio, Kansas, Indiana. So still might not be one of them. There is close to a 0% chance there is a firm in Indiana or Kansas paying 180. As mentioned, Fish pays 180 in Minneapolis. I think JD pays 160 in Minneapolis, Cleveland and Detroit.

Agree with the above that OP would probably be in better lateral shape going to this mystery market paying firm than some way below market paying firm in NYC

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

There's just simply no way you'll be better situated at the NY firm as compared to the biglaw satellite office you're considering. Take the satellite office. Chances are, you'll be doing a lot of work with the main office anyhow, but even if you aren't, you can work there with no real non-biglaw stigma. A biglaw satellite office will serve your long term goals better than non-market-paying NY law.

merde_happens

New

Postby merde_happens » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Making 180k in Minneapolis would not be a terrible life. Live in a pretty cool city in a beautiful state and stow away enough money to buy yourself a nice lake house to enjoy the 2.5 months of summer. But then again, I'm from the midwest.

I also agree with the general consensus that it's going to be easier to lateral from a market-paying firm to another big law firm in a big(ger) city than from what sounds like a mid-law firm in NYC, and I would think there would also be the possibility of an intra-firm transfer.

Return to “Legal Employment�