Winston v Akin v Orrick v Willkie

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston v Akin v Orrick v Willkie

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Trying to decide between these four NY offices: Winston & Strawn, Akin Gump, Orrick and Willkie Farr. Really not sure what I want to do yet, so it's important to me to keep my options as broadly open as possible. Any insight at all would be hugely appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Winston v Akin v Orrick v Willkie

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Willkie is by far the best choice here.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Yeah hard to say much with such a vague background on OP, but: for NYC offices I think Willkie is the most highly regarded of those choices in both general corp and general lit. Winston is a very Chicago-centric firm, and Orrick carries the most clout on the west coast. Akin is solid, but I would only go there over Willkie if it's just an incredible culture fit for some reason or if you want to do white collar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Willkie is by far the best choice here.

100% right. Best culture and best reputation.

notgreat

Silver

Postby notgreat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Yeah, I have heard good things about Willkie's culture and everyone I know that went there was nice and sociable.

They also seem to have a strong reputation and in good shape financially. Also, they seem to be fairly strong in a lot of different areas, so if you aren't sure what you want to do, then they are probably the best choice from a broad practice groups strength standpoint.

I would say, if you knew you were really, really interested in a specific practice it might be different. For example, Akin's bankruptcy practice in NYC seems to be very highly regarded.

Return to “Legal Employment�