Taking GMAT Before Starting Full-Time? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking GMAT Before Starting Full-Time?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 am

Hi all,

Just graduated, and will start at a biglaw firm this fall. Because of all the horror stories I've heard (and because I'm hoping to just make it 3-4 years there), I thought it might be wise to study for the GMAT or GRE before I start working (I'll have about 5-6 weeks), and perhaps apply to business school before I make the transition in-house, in the hopes of taking on a more business-side role as well (and maybe if I could show my employer an acceptance to a top business school, they'd help me foot the bill). I was hoping to get your feedback on a couple of things:

1) Any insight as to whether I should take the GRE v. the GMAT?
2) This depends in part on Question 1, but do you have any advice for how to study? Which book I should buy, etc.
3) Is it foolish to waste the last few weeks of freedom I'll have (likely for the rest of my life) on studying when some schools will let me apply without any GMAT/GRE score?
4) Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance! You all have been amazing for the past three years!

Anonymous User

Re: Taking GMAT Before Starting Full-Time?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am

I am thinking something similar as well, so I would also like to hear peoples opinions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 am

This seems like a waste of time and resources. You don't need an MBA to do well in big law or to transition in house. You'll learn as you go. Enjoy the last bit of freedom you'll ever have.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:35 am

I was thinking same thing. But then I realized that If I really wanted to go to b school that badly, I would find the time to take the test during big law and would just slack off at work. Plus, I want to enjoy these last couple weeks with friends and family before entering hte grinder

2L2Stronk

New

Post by 2L2Stronk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am

So I'm not going to opine as to whether it would be wise to go to business school, considering your predilections, goals, etc...but I can answer your questions regarding the test-taking itself (I've taken the GMAT and GRE in anticipation of dodging a legal career).

1) Most business schools won't even accept the GRE; it's a much safer bet to take the GMAT, and moreover, there aren't too many differences between the tests. The GRE is, admittedly, the more versatile exam, covering sightly broader subject matter, and it's therefore likely a LITTLE easier, but with proper studying/training it's not going to be a big deal.

2) I found that Magoosh is a great online resource with tons of videos, PPs, real-time support, flashcards, etc...It's a California (ex) startup with a solid team.

3) It's not necessarily foolish to use these 5-6 weeks on something other than watching GoT/lolligagg(ery?), but I do think it would be foolish to try and fit GMAT/GRE studying in in just 5-6 weeks. You have spent the past three years (or more) doing non-quantitative work with a particular emphasis on legal reading/writing, so your GMAT/GRE-testable skills are likely going to be in pretty poor shape. Although these tests do kind of get a rap for being easy, they're really not THAT easy if you've not been exercising those faculties required for the tests. If pursuing some other graduate degree is really what you want, then you need to take it pretty seriously (likely not as seriously as law school prep, but you get the gist), because those tests are going to be pretty crucial in demonstrating your suitability for a business program after having spent your most recent years with a bunch of fucking dusty law books.

4) Relatedly, I would strongly advise you to keep considering business school (law fucking blows), but make sure that you're really clinical in your approach with the test-taking. Perhaps you could gradually study materials throughout the 1-2 years that you spend in BigLaw, and then by the end of the day, you might realize that the business school route is not for you, in which case you still preserved your fun 5-6 week vacay that one summer after the bar exam, or you could then maybe take a long vacation/TLOA from BigLaw to really hammer out some GMAT/GRE studying in addition to the solid foundation you've built for yourself up to that point.

Buyer beware! Good luck, bro bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

I took the GMAT last summer during my Summer Associate gig and I think it was worth it. If you study like 20 hours a week and have a reasonable verbal ability from law school, you can crack 720 no problem.

I think it might even help when applying to non-law jobs that require test scores (consulting/banking) and of course for business school.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 am

You may want to look into the "Executive Assessment " as an alternative. I know VERY little about it, just that it's 90 minutes, but couldn't tell you if it's easier or harder that the GNAT or how long you'd need to study.

Also apparently not all schools take it, but it might be worth considering

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took the GMAT last summer during my Summer Associate gig and I think it was worth it. If you study like 20 hours a week and have a reasonable verbal ability from law school, you can crack 720 no problem.

I think it might even help when applying to non-law jobs that require test scores (consulting/banking) and of course for business school.
Considering this. 20 hours a week for how many weeks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Been thinking of doing something similar.

I'm a 3L with Biglaw lined up but already planning exit. Looking to take the GRE and then apply to a few one year mini-MBA or economic masters degrees. Anyone have any experience with or know anyone that's taken a year off BEFORE starting Biglaw?

How would firms look upon this? Would they hold the offer, akin to what they'd do for a clerk (I'd be working in corporate so I could potentially play the degree up as being beneficial to my practice), or would they cut the cord?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been thinking of doing something similar.

I'm a 3L with Biglaw lined up but already planning exit. Looking to take the GRE and then apply to a few one year mini-MBA or economic masters degrees. Anyone have any experience with or know anyone that's taken a year off BEFORE starting Biglaw?

How would firms look upon this? Would they hold the offer, akin to what they'd do for a clerk (I'd be working in corporate so I could potentially play the degree up as being beneficial to my practice), or would they cut the cord?
Why wouldn't u go work and make some money and then do this. It seems like an MBA pre working in law is less useful to transition to business than an MBA between law and business

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm the anon who asked about Masters before Biglaw.

I don't want to go back to school after I've started working in Boglaw. I'm already 30 and the thought of going back to school at 35 is not pleasant. It's pretty much now or never.

More concerned with whether a firm would see this as a positive or even allow it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”