S&C vs Paul Weiss vs. Davis Polk vs. Debevoise Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

S&C vs Paul Weiss vs. Davis Polk vs. Debevoise

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm an extremely indecisive URM that attends HYS and I've received a number of offers that I'm currently mulling over. In addition to those in the title, I've also received offers from Skadden and Kirkland, which I've ruled out. I'm primarily interested in litigation, but no particular practice area. I'm leaning most strongly towards Sullivan & Cromwell, despite their less than stellar reputation. I genuinely enjoyed my callback there and everyone I met was great. I know Paul Weiss is strong option as well, but I felt the people there were stiff and unpersonable. Debevoise seems like a great place to work as well, and most of the attorneys there seemed quite happy, but some of my other choices seem superior in terms of the work they get and reputation, but what do I know really?

Well if anyone has any light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated because I will most likely make a very arbitrary decision.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: S&C vs Paul Weiss vs. Davis Polk vs. Debevoise

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 am

What city and what are your goals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 am

I would do Paul Weiss or DPW over the other two for litigation, but they are relatively interchangeable with S&C so go where you'd be happiest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am

I would caution against disliking P,W based on the small sample you had. I did a CB with P,W for litigation and the people I met with were incredibly laid-back and friendly. Talked with an associate about her boyfriend and laughed about our online dating profiles. I also have various friends who had very relaxed and enjoyable interviews at P,W.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would caution against disliking P,W based on the small sample you had. I did a CB with P,W for litigation and the people I met with were incredibly laid-back and friendly. Talked with an associate about her boyfriend and laughed about our online dating profiles. I also have various friends who had very relaxed and enjoyable interviews at P,W.
Counterpoint. I also did a callback with Paul Weiss, and got an offer (so this isn't sour grapes), and I hated it as well, for the same reason as OP. And while I'm happy you enjoyed it, you need to realize OP is making a pretty big decision based on his own experience. Maybe you had a better fit than OP and myself. But our own experiences is what we have to go on. And they typically choose interviewers who will be personable and try to sell the firm. If we didn't love them, it's less likely we will like the ones they hide out of the public eye. Especially since at least with me, my interviewers were all in my practice group. I think OP should trust his gut and go to one of the other three. But you should by all means go there if you liked it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 am

I know three URMs who are at PW and DPW respectively. Two clerked and one is not returning. The other is a first year. The thing they have in common is that they all seemed miserable. This is Lit. Those options are presented as good options for URM because of Ted Wells and DPW's cultural reputation, but I'm not sure if they are what they are cracked up to be. This is purely anecdotal.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I have buddies at all of those places and most of them are unhappy and miserable (typical NY big firm life). Go with the place you think you'll be the happiest, all those firms have good enough name recognition to take you wherever you want to go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:24 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:What city and what are your goals.
Goals are simply NYC and litigation. The first part is already taken care of, and most of these firms have excellent litigation practices. So besides that I guess it's just fit, unless people think there are other reasons I should be considering that might be useful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:51 pm

FWIW I also loved my callback at S&C which was a bit unexpected for me. Either these people are great actors or their culture has improved over the last 10-20 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I also loved my callback at S&C which was a bit unexpected for me. Either these people are great actors or their culture has improved over the last 10-20 years.
You can't be this dumb if you're getting callbacks at s&c. You met with four people.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW I also loved my callback at S&C which was a bit unexpected for me. Either these people are great actors or their culture has improved over the last 10-20 years.
You can't be this dumb if you're getting callbacks at s&c. You met with four people.
Between CBs, second looks, offer dinners, receptions, and reaching out to alumni I probably met 30+ S&C attorneys, and I also found them uniformly nice and fun. I'm sure they hide the ogres, but there are an awful lot of really great people (or great actors) there for a place with such a terrible reputation. FWIW I felt like the general reputations of other big firms seemed right on the money (both good and bad).

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
Between CBs, second looks, offer dinners, receptions, and reaching out to alumni I probably met 30+ S&C attorneys, and I also found them uniformly nice and fun. I'm sure they hide the ogres, but there are an awful lot of really great people (or great actors) there for a place with such a terrible reputation. FWIW I felt like the general reputations of other big firms seemed right on the money (both good and bad).
People at recruiting events will lie to your face. Hth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would caution against disliking P,W based on the small sample you had. I did a CB with P,W for litigation and the people I met with were incredibly laid-back and friendly. Talked with an associate about her boyfriend and laughed about our online dating profiles. I also have various friends who had very relaxed and enjoyable interviews at P,W.
Counterpoint. I also did a callback with Paul Weiss, and got an offer (so this isn't sour grapes), and I hated it as well, for the same reason as OP. And while I'm happy you enjoyed it, you need to realize OP is making a pretty big decision based on his own experience. Maybe you had a better fit than OP and myself. But our own experiences is what we have to go on. And they typically choose interviewers who will be personable and try to sell the firm. If we didn't love them, it's less likely we will like the ones they hide out of the public eye. Especially since at least with me, my interviewers were all in my practice group. I think OP should trust his gut and go to one of the other three. But you should by all means go there if you liked it.
Fwiw, recruiting doesn't specifically pick interviewers. The only selection going on is associate self selection. No idea how they do it other places.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”