Does turning down a callback or offer hurt chances of future job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does turning down a callback or offer hurt chances of future job?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

I have accepted an offer in NYC because it's now or never. I have the NYC itch that I need to get out, however I also am realistic that I won't be there forever. I MM to a regional southern market and just got an interview invite to a firm that I would love to potentially one day work at? How do a navigate this to not burn bridges, or am I SOL?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Does turning down a callback or offer hurt chances of future job?

Postby UVA2B » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Don't overthink this. If you've already accepted an offer that you want to keep, respectfully decline because you've accepted that offer, while mentioning that you're very interested in their firm and their practice area (that you presumably applied for).

As anecdotal data, I got to see a firm offer a position to a desirable candidate on three separate occasions in a secondary market. They didn't accept on the first or second offer, but when the time was right, the firm hired that candidate who eventually became an influential partner.

You're not necessarily burning bridges just because you decline an offer to interview. You burn bridges when you accept an offer and then renege or fail to interact with the firm respectfully and professionally so as to make the hiring attorney remember you negatively.

UBETutoring

Bronze

Re: Does turning down a callback or offer hurt chances of future job?

Postby UBETutoring » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 pm

You can say you'd love to, but have already an accepted an offer. This way you make it seem like you prefer them but are a person of your word, which makes you more respectable.

Return to “Legal Employment�