Coffee and Secretary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Thesaurus

Silver

Re: Coffee and Secretary

Post by Thesaurus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Thesaurus wrote:How many professional/office workers outside of the law actually have secretaries though?
They're not at all unique/specific to law, and I don't know why you'd think that.
Pupkin actually answered my question already, and I don't know why you're responding to an assumption I wasn't making.

I worked at a tech company w/ thousands of employees. The founder/CEO probably had a secretary and maybe 5-10 other people did, but the rest of us did not. There were like 2-3 secretaries working at a time who greeted visitors, answered the main line, and transferred calls, but that's different.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm

sublime wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Give him/her giant Xmas bonus.
...wait, what. Associates give bonuses to secretaries? Why wouldn't equity partners do that. Is this common practice?
Gift is a better term, but it's usually cash. I've heard $100 x class year though it depends.
Lol @ this "profession"
If you are getting a $15k bonus, I'm p sure you can break off $200 for your assistant. Come on.
I mean it doesn't matter one way or the other. Personally, I think cash gifts are tacky/lazy/whatever. The whole idea of a junior associate giving another staff member a "bonus" or a gift or whatever just seems a bit silly since there's probably other senior members of the firm who are better situated to do so in a more meaningful way. But YOLO I guess. Merry X-Mas/Happy Holidays.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 pm

The senior people the assistant deals with definitely give them money too. I'm not sure if they get an additional bonus from the firm but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Thesaurus wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Thesaurus wrote:How many professional/office workers outside of the law actually have secretaries though?
They're not at all unique/specific to law, and I don't know why you'd think that.
Pupkin actually answered my question already, and I don't know why you're responding to an assumption I wasn't making.

I worked at a tech company w/ thousands of employees. The founder/CEO probably had a secretary and maybe 5-10 other people did, but the rest of us did not. There were like 2-3 secretaries working at a time who greeted visitors, answered the main line, and transferred calls, but that's different.
these people are called "receptionists"
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Thesaurus wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Your question definitely implied it would be something unusual outside of law. It's absolutely not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”