Which firm? BOS vs NY and Southern Exits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tridog

New

Which firm? BOS vs NY and Southern Exits

Postby tridog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:48 pm

I have an offer from Ropes BOS and a few NY firms (Skadden, Latham, and a few others). I want to do corporate work and, I think, eventually exit in house. Generally I prefer Boston, and have some family there plus quality of life at Boston firms seems to be a bit better.

My only concern is exits. Ropes obviously has a great name in Boston, but I'm not sure if it has the same geographic reach as the other firms listed especially in southern markets.

My wife and her family are all from Florida and I think it is a very realistic possibility that she will want to return to the south after a few years. So while I generally don't like making decisions based on future possibilities in this case I think a future move may be inevitable at some point.

I also realize this may be to specific a question for anyone to address but any opionins would be great thanks!

mt2165

Silver

Re: Which firm? BOS vs NY and Southern Exits

Postby mt2165 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm

I'd say Ropes, especially since your prefer Boston. Ropes is a nationally known firm and is unequivocally known to be the top firm in Boston along with WH. I think people, even inadvertently, get caught up in vault ranking as indicia of name recognition, even if not prestige. I would think anyone who knows Skadden NY or even Skadden generally is likely to know Ropes and Gray. And I would say they both have quite good reputations. Your success in Florida will probably come down to timing, ties, and your relevant experience, not your firm name (in this case.)

Return to “Legal Employment�