Exit opps into in-house at tech company

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit opps into in-house at tech company

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 pm

What are the differences in exit opps if I wanted to work in-house at a large tech company (not startup), between working at somewhere like Cooley/WSGR or a V5 NYC firm?

I am guessing the opps at a SV firm are strong but not sure what the landscape is for the latter.

Anonymous User

Re: Exit opps into in-house at tech company

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:22 pm

It's not so general like that. It depends on the particular firm you're talking about and the particular group within that firm you're working with. One large tech company (Google I think but it could be another one, can't recall which one exactly) had a good amount of in-house lawyers from both WSGR and Cleary. So it's possible to transition in from both the SV firms and the top Vault firms I guess. But whichever firm you're in, you'll want to work for the exact group in that firm that lets you transition into a tech in-house gig. I'd guess tech transactions and employment law could be good options but not as sure of that as other people likely are.

jhett

Bronze

Re: Exit opps into in-house at tech company

Postby jhett » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm

I agree with the above. It depends on how your practice area lines up with the needs of the company. Practice areas like M&A, regulatory/government relations, IP, tech trans, labor & employment, and privacy and data security line line up well with tech companies.

It also depends on whether you've done work with similarly situated companies (e.g., M&A for tech companies rather than for retailers). SV tech companies don't exclusively use SV firms for all the work. You'll need to figure out who does what work for whom.

Return to “Legal Employment�