To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolwat

Silver

Re: To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

Postby lolwat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, as a heads up, announcing a two month job (especially almost a year in advance) in a social setting would be considered bragging in most instances. And people tend to not like it when people brag.

Social Setting
-Hey man, how's law school treating you?
-Not bad, just wrapped up summer recruiting stuff and about to start classes up again.
-Oh cool, how was recruiting? (Or, what will you be doing?)

Responding with where you will be is not bragging even if you're surrounded by a bunch of other people in this social setting.

It's how the topic comes up. If it comes up naturally, in that kind of conversation, then yeah. You're practically responding to a question about how your OCI went. If you walk into some law school gathering at a bar and announce "YO EVERYONE, I GOT AN OFFER AT SKADDEN WOOOOOOOOO BEERS ARE ON ME" then... yeah that's a bit different. (WTF like two people scooped me on this, is everyone's Monday that slow or something?)

I struck out at OCI myself way back in the day in the late 2000/early 2010s. I never really had a negative view of those who talked about where they'd be summering/going after 3L, etc., but that might be because practically everyone was pretty low key about it. I did really hate the fucker that bragged about not giving a fuck about law school because he was just going to join his family's law firm back home after graduation, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, as a heads up, announcing a two month job (especially almost a year in advance) in a social setting would be considered bragging in most instances. And people tend to not like it when people brag.

Social Setting
-Not bad, just wrapped up summer recruiting stuff and about to start classes up again.

Responding with where you will be is not bragging even if you're surrounded by a bunch of other people in this social setting.

But then it wouldn't be an announcement, it would be answering a question. (Scooped.)

Exactly. Making an announcement to a bunch of people at a party vs answering someone's question about recruiting are two different things. Even if someone did ask, there's no obligation to tell them about your offer. A simple "it went well, thanks for asking" suffices. Unless you REALLY want to tell them about your offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:14 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Social Setting

It's how the topic comes up. If it comes up naturally, in that kind of conversation, then yeah. You're practically responding to a question about how your OCI went. If you walk into some law school gathering at a bar and announce "YO EVERYONE, I GOT AN OFFER AT SKADDEN WOOOOOOOOO BEERS ARE ON ME" then... yeah that's a bit different. (WTF like two people scooped me on this, is everyone's Monday that slow or something?)

I struck out at OCI myself way back in the day in the late 2000/early 2010s. I never really had a negative view of those who talked about where they'd be summering/going after 3L, etc., but that might be because practically everyone was pretty low key about it. I did really hate the fucker that bragged about not giving a fuck about law school because he was just going to join his family's law firm back home after graduation, though.

Posting on Facebook kind of has the similar effect of walking into a gathering at a bar and announcing you got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Social Setting

Anonymous here - you took my quote out of context, I was specifically talking about announcing it at a party. :roll:

Posting on Facebook is equivalent to doing a champagne toast at a party / announcing it to everyone at a party.

Talking about it with close friends or family members (or with people that specifically ask you about how recruiting went) is different.

This thread is getting ridiculous! OP, if you really want to post it on FB that badly, go ahead.

So you would go out of your way to show people pictures of your trip to Europe at a party? Or did you enter the room at a party and announce to everyone that you were going to X law school? Because people do that all the time on social media but not in real life. If someone did those things in real life, it would be weird. But it is perfectly normal on social media. You are trying to make a direct connection between how people interact in person and how they should act on social media, but it doesnt work. There is a world of difference between doing a champagne toast at a party about any topic and simply posting on facebook about that same thing.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Social Setting

Posting on Facebook kind of has the similar effect of walking into a gathering at a bar and announcing you got an offer.

Not really. People on your Facebook choose to associate with you. Walking into a bar where there are random people gathered is different than posting something to an audience that made a deliberate choice to follow your page. It's also commonplace to share things on social media - that's the point of social media itself. That's not really the point of a bar.

I don't necessarily think posting about an offer is the best idea, but it's your page, and if you want to accept the risk that people will think you're a douchebag, so be it. This can easily be avoided by simply hiding people who may have an issue with it.

If someone worked hard to get where they are, I don't mind a post that brags about it or announces it - that's basically 50% of social media nowadays anyway.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:People aren't competing with you to get engaged in the same season the same way that they are competing for jobs during OCI. It would be more like announcing your engagement to an audience of the fiance(e)'s exes.

This actually sounds a lot like what some people use Facebook for...

Return to “Legal Employment�