To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:31 pm

To what extent is it appropriate to share news of a summer associate offer, or for that matter, an offer to return? Obviously I'm sensitive to those who are still going through the process and haven't found anything yet, so it's not like it'd go around telling classmates randomly.

But what about sharing on social media? At what point do you add it to something like a linkedin profile, or to a resume? Whats the etiquette, what's appropriate, what is tacky?

Anonymous User

Re: To what extent is it appropriate to share news of an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Why would you need to announce it? People will figure out you work there when you start working there. Tell your close friends, family, and keep it moving... and you're not working there until next summer so it has no place on your LinkedIn until you start. And unless you're planning to work before next summer it really makes 0 difference being on your resume right now.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I definitely judge people who post about their summer employment before the summer actually starts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:38 pm

It's not that I need to announce it, but it's the kind of news I'd like to share with, say, facebook friends, and am just wondering about the etiquette of doing so.

Regarding resume placement - so an "expected" line isn't appropriate even for things like clerkship applications?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not that I need to announce it, but it's the kind of news I'd like to share with, say, facebook friends, and am just wondering about the etiquette of doing so.

Regarding resume placement - so an "expected" line isn't appropriate even for things like clerkship applications?

Well, the etiquette is: don't post about your firm on social media, especially when you're like nine months from starting. That said, a few people always do. They tend to be the kind of people I don't like much, but hey — you make your own choices.

Perfectly appropriate (in fact, highly advisable) to add it to your resume for clerkship apps though!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 pm

radio1nowhere wrote: They tend to be the kind of people I don't like much, but hey — you make your own choices.

I posted the question because I didn't know the etiquette, and I posted anonymously because I wanted to find out with out people being judgmental. The snark is kind of unnecessary.

okaygo

Silver

Postby okaygo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 pm

The etiquette is to not. Of course, many law students will do it anyway because law students gotta lawl. But I'll echo other posters and say tell your close friends and wait to "announce" at least until you start work/get an offer. Right now is the peak of everyone else's stress, so try to be considerate of that

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 pm

This is somewhat a delicate situation, but it seems you realize that. You probably shouldn't broadcast that you have an offer for everyone to hear, because obviously that will come off a bit tactless to friends/classmates who might still be in the hunt. But that doesn't mean you need to hide your joy in knowing you found the right firm for you. If someone asks, proudly tell them you've accepted an offer at your firm. I'd hesitate to volunteer that information too broadly unless you have a really good reason to do so, especially considering the circumstances where people are innately stressed about finding a job.

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:54 pm

My two cents:

Social media: Never
LinkedIn: When SA starts, if then
Resume: Sure

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's not that I need to announce it, but it's the kind of news I'd like to share with, say, facebook friends, and am just wondering about the etiquette of doing so.

Well you didn't ask about applications. You asked about social media. Obviously you should add it if applying to other jobs in between now and the summer, such as clerkships. But nobody adds expected jobs on LinkedIn almost a year away, I don't even think it's an option.

I think sharing this type of news is OK if shared in your immediate circle and family. But understand that no one else, including your classmates, outside of that cares. If anything most people might find it tasteless and be jealous. You should absolutely be proud of your offer, but there's no need to go around broadcasting it. 1) I never thought it was a good idea for people to know where you work on social media platforms that are so open to strangers 2) I'm paranoid and feel like anything can happen in between now and summer that can have you regretting you ever broadcasted it.

Do as you wish, but the fact that you asked means you know your intentions seemed off.

jaekeem

New

Postby jaekeem » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 pm

for applications/linkedin/close friends of course you should tell people and update your info

but posting on social media about it while others might be struggling to land a job risks making you look tactless. unless you are super selective and only have close friends added.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Put it on your resume now. Put it on LinkedIn when you start. Don't announce it on social media (that's just weird). If someone is a good enough friend, I'm sure you'll be able to tell them in-person or over text. If it's not a person you talk to regularly, I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to inform them at this point.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 am

cfcm wrote:My two cents:

Agree.

Seriously, just don't post it on social media. OCI is a shitty time for a lot of folks. Text or PM people if you want to let people know. You may mean well, but it will definitely come across as inconsiderate if you post it.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:50 am

zhenders wrote:
cfcm wrote:My two cents:

Agree.

Seriously, just don't post it on social media. OCI is a shitty time for a lot of folks. Text or PM people if you want to let people know. You may mean well, but it will definitely come across as inconsiderate if you post it.

Agree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote: They tend to be the kind of people I don't like much, but hey — you make your own choices.

I posted the question because I didn't know the etiquette, and I posted anonymously because I wanted to find out with out people being judgmental. The snark is kind of unnecessary.

Lmao posting anonymously does not prevent others from judging you. If anything, anonymous posting allows people to more easily express their judgment. You should have probably realized by now that by posting this socially clueless question, you have made yourself "that guy/girl."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:25 am

(anon so as not to out myself as one of the senior posters on the forum)

Seems like the social media angle is making a really simple etiquette issue much more complicated. Let me share how we did it during (gasp) the pre-Facebook era:

1. It is appropriate to share news of a summer associate offer/offer to return with family and with friends/social acquaintances when the topic arises organically in conversation.

2. For close friends, it is appropriate to send an email telling them about your offer, with possible caveat if whether they are still wrestling with a lack of offer (even then, close friends want to know and celebrate your happiness, so likely to be okay if sensitively shared.)

3. It is appropriate to add to a resume--and likewise, to LinkedIn these days--after you've started the job (otherwise it's not relevant experience you have). You can include on clerkship resumes as upcoming experience (wasn't an issue for us because the Plan was still in place, so we weren't doing clerkship interviews until after 2L summer.)

The only purpose of sharing it on other social media (FB, etc.) is to brag to people you are not close enough to send an email or raise the topic with in casual conversation. Seems to come with two downsides: failing to be sensitive to those still going through the process (which you say is important to you) AND sharing with a wide audience something that hasn't yet happened. If your firm goes under, if your summer offer gets revoked, even if you don't get an offer at the end of the summer ... there are a wide range of scenarios where blasting this too soon would be suboptimal. And it's clear from the responses you've gotten that your post won't be universally well-received. I'd hold off.

killingmesoftly

New

Postby killingmesoftly » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 am

If you feel the need to humble brag on tls then you're probably the type of asshole that people already hate, so I say go for it, you aren't losing anything.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:(anon so as not to out myself as one of the senior posters on the forum)

Seems like the social media angle is making a really simple etiquette issue much more complicated. Let me share how we did it during (gasp) the pre-Facebook era:

1. It is appropriate to share news of a summer associate offer/offer to return with family and with friends/social acquaintances when the topic arises organically in conversation.

2. For close friends, it is appropriate to send an email telling them about your offer, with possible caveat if whether they are still wrestling with a lack of offer (even then, close friends want to know and celebrate your happiness, so likely to be okay if sensitively shared.)

3. It is appropriate to add to a resume--and likewise, to LinkedIn these days--after you've started the job (otherwise it's not relevant experience you have). You can include on clerkship resumes as upcoming experience (wasn't an issue for us because the Plan was still in place, so we weren't doing clerkship interviews until after 2L summer.)

The only purpose of sharing it on other social media (FB, etc.) is to brag to people you are not close enough to send an email or raise the topic with in casual conversation. Seems to come with two downsides: failing to be sensitive to those still going through the process (which you say is important to you) AND sharing with a wide audience something that hasn't yet happened. If your firm goes under, if your summer offer gets revoked, even if you don't get an offer at the end of the summer ... there are a wide range of scenarios where blasting this too soon would be suboptimal. And it's clear from the responses you've gotten that your post won't be universally well-received. I'd hold off.

Senior posters? Like, you wear depends? No "senior" TLS poster would refer to themselves as "senior"

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 am

Make sure you strike a very professional tone too. Really lean into it.

"I am pleased to announce that I recieved an offer from Uncle Cadwalader to spend two months stuffing my face and drinking free booze. Thank you to everyone who believed in me; I'll take my desire for justice and crush the social events."

(no offered for wearing dress shoes on boat cruise)

Aergia

New

Postby Aergia » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 am

If you do post something, don't forget to thank your mom, and your loyal fans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 am

killingmesoftly wrote:If you feel the need to humble brag on tls then you're probably the type of asshole that people already hate, so I say go for it, you aren't losing anything.

Anonymous User wrote:
Lmao posting anonymously does not prevent others from judging you. If anything, anonymous posting allows people to more easily express their judgment. You should have probably realized by now that by posting this socially clueless question, you have made yourself "that guy/girl."

By way of explanation, and at the risk of partially outing myself, I'm considerably older than the typical law student. Considerably older than most of you, I'm sure. I didn't grow up with facebook, or with any social media for that matter. My linkedin is literally brand new since I started law school. I asked the question - not because I'm "socially clueless" - but because I am far less familiar with social media etiquette than all of YOU are. Moreover, young people tend to use social media in different ways than do people of my generation.

So to those of you who answered my innocent question appropriately, thank you. I appreciate you.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 am

Just put "Future SA at X, Y & Z" on your linkedin profile. Completely understated and acceptable way of informing people of your accomplishment. Bonus, you might get networking opportunities from current associates and partners.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:31 am

Ehh my opinion is kind of that you should post it. Obviously, tactfully. Idk who made up the rule in life that it's not okay to be proud and announce achievements or accomplishments (not just saying for law, just life in general). Social media is always full of negativity. It never bothers me when someone, who sincerely and nicely, posts something big that they accomplished , whatever that might me. I hate how there has turned out to be so much stigma around someone who posts something big, like we automatically think they're showing off, etc.

I'm about to get slammed for this, but I think it's fine to tactfully post an accomplishment that you're really proud of, and you don't have to feel like an asshole for doing it. People should be happy for you, and if not, they probably don't belong on your social media anyway.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Nebby wrote:Senior posters? Like, you wear depends? No "senior" TLS poster would refer to themselves as "senior"

I meant "senior" professionally. At least in my city and law firm, we refer to people being "junior to" or "senior to" each other constantly. Given that I graduated law school pre-Facebook, I am senior in the law firm world to most posters here (and since it's unusual for people as far out of law school as I am to post here - TLS didn't even exist when I was in law school - I just want to be careful about anonymity.) That's all I meant--not to imply that I am a "senior TLS poster" (whatever that would mean) - although I see why my prior post can be read that way.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:16 pm

Eh, whether it's getting an offer or your new PR squat, I'm not a fan of bragging on social media. Really, nobody outside of your family and significant other cares all that much. I also don't see my friends on social media post about getting a new job or whatever, and some of them are in really impressive fields. Law students like to brag, dunno why. Given that an SA offer is really just an internship, I think it's tacky but to each their own.

Return to “Legal Employment?