Friend struck out at OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lagamemnon

New

Friend struck out at OCI

Postby lagamemnon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 pm

My friend struck out at OCI. T14, decent grades. Any advice I can give him other than mass mailing? And regarding mass mailing, is there a good thread on the best way to go about doing it, or is it just sending out resumés to all the firms you can find?

Thanks in advance.

devilblue

New

Re: Friend struck out at OCI

Postby devilblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 pm

It's too bad you struck out at oci

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:34 pm

devilblue wrote:It's too bad you struck out at oci

Do you have any actual advice to offer with your snark?

Nagster5

Silver

Postby Nagster5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:41 pm

There's a sticky about mass mailing.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 pm

lagamemnon wrote:My friend struck out at OCI. T14, decent grades. Any advice I can give him other than mass mailing? And regarding mass mailing, is there a good thread on the best way to go about doing it, or is it just sending out resumés to all the firms you can find?

Thanks in advance.

Right now, can't really think of much for your friend to do other than MM - as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Have your friend blanket NYC and any other markets where s/he has plausible ties. Speed and quantity are the key factors here. Literally every day counts.

Slightly longer-term (i.e., after getting the MM apps in), there's the old saw about looking into clerkships, which, if MM doesn't pan out, would give your friend a meaningful second bite at the BIgLaw apple*. Should also participate in fall OCI so as to at least have something legal lined up for 2L summer.

*I say "meaningful" because if MM doesn't net your friend a 2L SA, then 3L OCI is very unlikely to help; 3L OCI, to the limited extent it works, mostly works for 2L SAs looking to switch firms post-graduation.

Best of luck to your friend.

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:33 pm

you're a horrible person.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Postby eastcoast_iub » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:08 pm

In fairness to snark poster, why do people need to beat around the bush like this? It's not like they have an STD. And they're posting anonymously.
Last edited by eastcoast_iub on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:In fairness to snark poster, why do people need to beat around the bush like this? It's not like you have an STD.

This'll sound hopelessly naive, but my rule of thumb is to assume honesty and good faith unless there's clear evidence to the contrary. I could see myself starting a thread like this in an attempt to help a good friend. I don't think OP's premise is unbelievable.

And even if OP were lying and OP's the one who struck out... So what? That wouldn't impact the applicable advice at all.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Postby eastcoast_iub » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm

The internet is really easy to use. There's no plausible reason one would delegate posting to a friend. Doesn't impact the advice, just kind of silly.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:20 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:The internet is really easy to use. There's no plausible reason one would delegate posting to a friend. Doesn't impact the advice, just kind of silly.

Eh, I have friends who flatly refuse to visit (let alone post on) TLS.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Whether or not the OP is the person in need of help, here is some honest advice that is mostly covered in the MM thread, but bears repeating: tell your friend now is not the time to be picky on markets. If you have any discernible interest in being there and doing the work of that firm in that market, you should be applying to that firm. It might not work out, and equally important, it might take 100, 300, 500, etc. apps to get something to land potentially, but sometimes that's what it takes.

Seriously though, it's still August. Hiring isn't finished across all markets, and even if an initial wave is finished, there will be subsequent rounds of hiring where more offers are made. It's easy to get discouraged here because so often it's touted how easy it is to get a job, especially at that level of school, but quite regularly it takes a lot of hard work in applying and luck. So keep sending applications out to firms in markets you/your friend would consider, and hopefully good will come from it. OCI might not have worked out the way you always dreamed, but that doesn't mean it's all said and done. You/your friend can still get a good job. Good luck!

devilblue

New

Postby devilblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 pm

1. It originally was a joke about how everyone asks "for a friend." I did honestly think the poster was asking for a friend.

2. If poster is asking for self, my post still does add value. The value would be this: own up to your situation, face it head on, and get out there. If you're at a t14 you're smart enough to figure out how to get a job, so go and do it. Quit hiding and determine your future for yourself.

lagamemnon

New

Postby lagamemnon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm an associate at a large firm, but if it makes you feel better you can pretend I struck out. Seriously, why would I ask for a "friend" if it was me? It's not like I know any of you.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice.

Return to “Legal Employment?