Big Law in Singapore

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law in Singapore

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:41 pm

How competitive is it to get a legal internship at a Big Law in Singapore? I'm looking at Latham, Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, Linklaters and Milbank (suggestions are appreciated). I have slightly above median grades at a T-14.

I grew up in Southeast Asia, so I'm debating between practicing law in US and Asia. I have a SA offer in the US but want to try a 4-week internship in Singapore. As far as I know, they don't open summer applications until Oct/Nov, correct? How large is their summer class? How is the pay/hours/work-life balance?

Thanks.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Big Law in Singapore

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't have firsthand experience so take this with a grain of salt, but everything I've heard is that Biglaw in Asia is brutal, and Singapore is particularly brutal. I don't think there's much semblance of work-life balance. I believe pay is also lower.

BKing

New

Postby BKing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Latham has specific interview slots for people who are interested in their HK/Singapore office at my t14. And I know that someone received an offer from Latham Singapore.

Magic circle firms and a handful of US firms (Skadden, s&c, stb, dpw, Latham, white & case, and etc.) allow summer associates to internally split between US and oversea offices, either thru official Asian track programs or on a case-by-case basis. But as far as I know, HK is more likely to host summer associates than Singapore. Given that HK is similar to Singapore weather-wise and culture-wise, maybe OP you should consider HK.

BKing

New

Postby BKing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I don't have firsthand experience so take this with a grain of salt, but everything I've heard is that Biglaw in Asia is brutal, and Singapore is particularly brutal. I don't think there's much semblance of work-life balance. I believe pay is also lower.

Hours in Asia are generally deadly but pay is actually pretty good. US attorneys based in Asia are paid more generously (base salary on NY scale plus COLA). And the tax is MUCH lower.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:06 pm

BKing wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I don't have firsthand experience so take this with a grain of salt, but everything I've heard is that Biglaw in Asia is brutal, and Singapore is particularly brutal. I don't think there's much semblance of work-life balance. I believe pay is also lower.

Hours in Asia are generally deadly but pay is actually pretty good. US attorneys based in Asia are paid more generously (base salary on NY scale plus COLA). And the tax is MUCH lower.

Fair enough. I think our office pays market in Singapore, but I have heard other firms do not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 pm

CC doesn't have a summer program in Singapore (but they give offers there from their HK summer program). Mandarin is required. They really only want people "coming home" back to HK, Macau or China because US or UK based people will have a tough time returning to the States. Only start there if you want to stay there.

Source- screener with hiring partner of CC HK (obviously didn't receive a callback)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CC doesn't have a summer program in Singapore (but they give offers there from their HK summer program). Mandarin is required. They really only want people "coming home" back to HK, Macau or China because US or UK based people will have a tough time returning to the States. Only start there if you want to stay there.

Source- screener with hiring partner of CC HK (obviously didn't receive a callback)

Mind telling the name of the hiring partner? Apparently, CC doesnt interview at my T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 pm

What's the process for SA recruiting in Singapore or Hong Kong?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:57 am

Some of the SAs at Milbank split between HK and NY. I assume that's how you'd make it work (splitting with one firm).

BKing

New

Postby BKing » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the process for SA recruiting in Singapore or Hong Kong?

Some firms' Asian offices have a summer program for JD students, and they generally allow you to choose where to start as a 1st yr associate but eventually you will be sent back to Asia. For firms like this, you can just apply directly thru their website or bring this up during your screener/callback/second visit.

Some firms allow people to do internal split on a case by case basis. And you just need to talk to firm about the possibility.

Do not apply for "vacation schemes" on the website of firms' hk/Singapore offices. those schemes are for students who are trained in commonwealth jurisdictions (UK, Australia, HK and etc)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 pm

I summered at a big law in Singapore/HK. Internship/ SA in Asia is very competitive. Especially HK, big laws want lawyer with PRC backgrounds, so without some PRC backgrounds, i say chances are very slim in HK. Singapore is just as tough to break in, but if you have some tie to southeast Asia, that will def give up a leg up. But i think you should gain some exp in US then lateral to Asia, Asia values attorneys with NY training and exp.

Return to “Legal Employment�