(Boston) Skadden, Kirkland, Latham or Goodwin?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

(Boston) Skadden, Kirkland, Latham or Goodwin?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 am

I'm interested in corporate and have offers from all four. I'm particularly interested in insight on Skadden, because I can't really get a feeling for how big their corporate practice is. Most people at the office are litigation, and besides the handful of people in M&A, it seems like they only have three people working on fund formations.

So what do you guys know about these firms?

Anonymous User

Re: (Boston) Skadden, Kirkland, Latham or Goodwin?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:57 am

(shameless bump)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Your post is so general that it's hard to say what might be relevant about those firms for you -- Goodwin, Latham, and Skadden are all Band 1 for M&A work in Boston so I don't think you can go wrong with those for general corporate, no matter how "big" the practice is. Goodwin probably has the most prestige in Boston specifically, but Latham and Skadden have more prestige outside Boston. Unless you have geographic exit considerations, it seems like personal fit is mainly what should matter between those firms.

Kirkland has big Boston PE clients but that's almost all they do. I think it's formations and venture capital stuff mainly. If you want to do funds work, Kirkland seems likely to be a tight-knit office with early responsibility, just bc of how small it is. But the firm works pretty hard to build their new offices, as evidenced by the smashing success of their last one (Houston).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in corporate and have offers from all four. I'm particularly interested in insight on Skadden, because I can't really get a feeling for how big their corporate practice is. Most people at the office are litigation, and besides the handful of people in M&A, it seems like they only have three people working on fund formations.

What kind of corporate do you want to do?

As others have mentioned, Skadden does mostly M&A, and some company rep for those clients or portfolio companies. It is a small group, but they have a good client base. They hire mostly for grades and some of the people there are a bit weird. Rumors are that it's a rough place for women.
You won't do much venture work there at all. Kirkland does PE M&A and fund work, and rumors are that they have been increasingly stealing PE work from Ropes. Kirkland has really rough hours, but compensates you for them.

Latham is relatively new to Boston, but it is by far the most prestigious firm on your list, in terms of being super-well respected everywhere. (Skadden is everywhere, but it's not known as a great place to work). My friends that summered there loved it. Latham pays very well and will be a gold star that opens doors on your resume forever.

Goodwin is an excellent firm in Boston. It is a bit of a harder work environment in that it has a pretty big summer class (and incoming FY class) and you're not assigned to groups right away. So there's a lot of schmoozing and gossiping and getting shat on, because you belong to no particular group for a while as a junior there. But...you will get a much broader corporate experience there in that they do a lot of emerging growth work, real estate finance, M&A, PE M&A, funds work, etc. My friends that summered there loved it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in corporate and have offers from all four. I'm particularly interested in insight on Skadden, because I can't really get a feeling for how big their corporate practice is. Most people at the office are litigation, and besides the handful of people in M&A, it seems like they only have three people working on fund formations.

Skadden's corporate work in Boston is mostly life science M&A. It is a lot of work with their own clients, but they've got a few huge partners with big books of business and that's the majority of what they do.

Highly reccomend Kirkland, new office so lots of opportunity, access to PE clients and lots of early responsibility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 am

If you're looking for fund formation work Kirkland took the co-head of Proskauer's funds group recently and Proskauer is by far the best funds group in Boston.

Return to “Legal Employment�