Struck out at OCI support group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Struck out at OCI support group

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Good luck" is the kiss of death

Even at callback?

Ehh now that I think about it maybe not but I still don't like hearing it

Hiring partner ended CB interview with "Good luck with your next school year." And I'm literally losing sleep over the subtext.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even at callback?

Hiring partner ended CB interview with "Good luck with your next school year." And I'm literally losing sleep over the subtext.

I think this is fine. What I got was "good luck finding the perfect fit for you" or "good luck for the whole process"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even at callback?

I think this is fine. What I got was "good luck finding the perfect fit for you" or "good luck for the whole process"

Idk I wouldn't lose sleep over this y'all. One partner during a CB a couple weeks back told me "Best of luck finding the right firm through this process" as we parted ways and I got an offer a few days later. I think it's just a natural, inconsequential saying that shouldn't be read into.

I don't think an attorney will have unilaterally decided you won't be hired by the end of a CB interview, and even if they do (like in the case with the hiring partner), I'm doubtful they'd communicate that, especially in such a subtle way.

merde_happens

New

Postby merde_happens » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even at callback?

Not a partner but just to try to assuage some neuroses, I have definitely said this and it meant nothing other than a token platitude that sounds better at the end of the interview than "see ya!" Maybe not the finding the perfect fit, which does sound a bit ominous, but I've said "good luck with the rest of the process" and "good luck with 2L" or something of the like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

merde_happens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even at callback?

Not a partner but just to try to assuage some neuroses, I have definitely said this and it meant nothing other than a token platitude that sounds better at the end of the interview than "see ya!" Maybe not the finding the perfect fit, which does sound a bit ominous, but I've said "good luck with the rest of the process" and "good luck with 2L" or something of the like.

What about compliments? I have been rejected by each interviewer who told me something like "you have a great background" "good grades" "will have a lot of offers"...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

merde_happens

New

Postby merde_happens » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:03 pm

I can't comment because that's not something I would say. I might say "oh that sounds like a great experience" in response to someone telling an interesting story about their 1L summer job or something, but direct compliments like that seem weird to me. I mean, I actually did interview a woman recently with great academic credentials and great experience, but her interview sucked (pro-tip: if I'm taking you out to lunch you should not under any circumstances be on your phone) and I knew by the end I was going to give her a thumbs down. Still didn't say anything like that, though.

Again, I can only speak to myself personally and am not a boomer partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:27 pm

merde_happens wrote:Not a partner but just to try to assuage some neuroses, I have definitely said this and it meant nothing other than a token platitude that sounds better at the end of the interview than "see ya!" Maybe not the finding the perfect fit, which does sound a bit ominous, but I've said "good luck with the rest of the process" and "good luck with 2L" or something of the like.

Senior associate here: I often say this in response to thank you emails from candidates - wish them good luck figuring out the right place for them (and usually offer to be a sounding board if they want input choosing between firms, if I in any way enjoyed our conversation and found them to be thoughtful about their search.) I've intended the "good luck" part as just sincere good wishes in working out what the right offer to accept is, and I say "right place" because I don't want to be presumptuous whether they think our firm is the best fit for them. I say it regardless of whether the person is getting an offer from my firm or not (and sometimes that decision hasn't been made when I respond.)

Just one perspective. Hope I haven't been freaking any of the recipients out about "subtext." There isn't any on my end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I had a screener with a V10 in my home market (NorCal). It was 8am and I knew we were lacking a connection, but still had hope I would stick the landing. That is, until our parting words.

The interviewer handed me a pamphlet with a landscape photo of the Silicon Valley. I smiled and said, "this is a great shot. Makes me nostalgic."

Without skipping a beat, she responded, "well, if nothing else, at least we gave you that."

No callback.

I think it matters more how the subtext was delivered, and in what context, than to lose sleep over otherwise innocuous words.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Just realized my resume had some glaringly format errors (inconsistent all caps) after MMing 400+ firms. Time to drop out. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just realized my resume had some glaringly format errors (inconsistent all caps) after MMing 400+ firms. Time to drop out. :(

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this. While it's not ideal, it won't be a deal breaker for a firm if they like you enough. I went through this process last year (with below median grades), and I got a callback with a firm after mixing up the hiring partner's first and last names on my cover letter. I completely misspelled the name of one firm I applied to, but I got an offer from them.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Postby strawberrieee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just realized my resume had some glaringly format errors (inconsistent all caps) after MMing 400+ firms. Time to drop out. :(

The errors may be not that glaring. Even they are, fix them, have someone (e.g. your career counselor) to read it over and continue MMing more. There are more than 400 firms out there. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 pm

I've been mass mailing for past few days, and I'm so tired. I really feel like this is wasting time... :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm likely going to strike out and have been mass mailing. In the likely chance that I don't get anything, what's the best way to set myself up for 3L OCI? I'm below median at CCN. What are some good summer positions? And how can we learn about corporate work if we don't get the SA position to try it out? Any advice is appreciated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to strike out and have been mass mailing. In the likely chance that I don't get anything, what's the best way to set myself up for 3L OCI? I'm below median at CCN. What are some good summer positions? And how can we learn about corporate work if we don't get the SA position to try it out? Any advice is appreciated.

3L oci right now is a bloodbath. No one is getting anything. People top 25% at t6 that were at v10s aren't getting ANY bites. So you need to keep focusing on mass mailing and networking like this is the only time you will have a chance at biglaw- because chances are, this is it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Checking in, just got rejected from my dream firm. Have been mass mailing since July with no bites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to strike out and have been mass mailing. In the likely chance that I don't get anything, what's the best way to set myself up for 3L OCI? I'm below median at CCN. What are some good summer positions? And how can we learn about corporate work if we don't get the SA position to try it out? Any advice is appreciated.

3L oci right now is a bloodbath. No one is getting anything. People top 25% at t6 that were at v10s aren't getting ANY bites. So you need to keep focusing on mass mailing and networking like this is the only time you will have a chance at biglaw- because chances are, this is it.

Well. This is really grim. I've only gotten one nibble from mass mailing and that got me a screener that I got rejected from. Guess I'm pretty fucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:

Well. This is really grim. I've only gotten one nibble from mass mailing and that got me a screener that I got rejected from. Guess I'm pretty fucked.

Agreed. Re: the v10s comment - are these people just trying to lateral? Is it one of those things where people are chasing prestige at certain firms that have large returning classes from 2L anyway?

Follow up question to mass mailing - I'm targeting home market, but haven't had much luck so far. In the off chance that I do get a response, how does it usually work? Will mid-law firms actually fly us out to meet with them or is this more of an out of pocket cost?

Thanks again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Legal Employment�