Struck out at OCI support group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out at OCI support group

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 pm

BU/Emory/UIowa 2L struck out after being rejected after 5 callbacks. Already started mass mailing and participating in FIW. Just hate to be alone with my own thoughts. How's everyone else holding up?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Struck out at OCI support group

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Checking in. 2L at a lower T14 and ended the year at about the top third of my class. Had five callbacks and ended up with a grand total of zero offers. So it goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. 2L at a lower T14 and ended the year at about the top third of my class. Had five callbacks and ended up with a grand total of zero offers. So it goes.

are you me?

: (

2/5 dinged me so far...welp

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Finished ~ top 20% at one of the schools OP mentioned, dinged from two, radio silence from the other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Look at all you fancy people with callbacks. Zero CBs from significant screeners due to an unlucky combination of circumstances. Have had a CB through not OCI. still waiting to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Op here, externed on D.C. Circuit, law review, 3.92 GPA. WHAT ELSE DOES IT TAKE? I put in hard work that amounted to nothing. I'm devastated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Look at all you fancy people with callbacks. Zero CBs from significant screeners due to an unlucky combination of circumstances. Have had a CB through not OCI. still waiting to hear.

Op here.. Sigh.. what does it matter how many cb u went on if it all amounted to nothing in the end.. best of luck to you though! Might still be a chance!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:56 pm

DC Student. 3.82 (top 10%ish & law review. 17/32 on screeners. 1 CB. No answer back.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC Student. 3.82 & law review. 17/32 on screeners. 1 CB. No answer back.

This isn't necessarily a surprise. DC is the most competitive market bar none. Sorry though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:00 pm

At MPVDN, right at median, and likely struck out as well. Had only two callbacks, one rejection, and silence for a little over a week from the other. Still holding out hope, but have been mass mailing a bunch of different markets the last couple days.

During my interviews, I had more than a couple people (probably around 5 or 6) tell me towards the end of the interview that I had a great resume and that I would have a lot of options- all those firms ended up rejecting me (and I obviously don't have a lot of options). Any insight to what that means? Am I dogshit at interviewing? Is that just being friendly and a statement like that is meaningless?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Median at MVPD, zero call back from OCI. It's been really hard going to school these days where all my classmates are talking about picking from their 4+ offers. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At MPVDN, right at median, and likely struck out as well. Had only two callbacks, one rejection, and silence for a little over a week from the other. Still holding out hope, but have been mass mailing a bunch of different markets the last couple days.

During my interviews, I had more than a couple people (probably around 5 or 6) tell me towards the end of the interview that I had a great resume and that I would have a lot of options- all those firms ended up rejecting me (and I obviously don't have a lot of options). Any insight to what that means? Am I dogshit at interviewing? Is that just being friendly and a statement like that is meaningless?

Wow, same here. If a partner says something like "you resume looks impressive" it's almost certainly a ding for me. I wonder why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At MPVDN, right at median, and likely struck out as well. Had only two callbacks, one rejection, and silence for a little over a week from the other. Still holding out hope, but have been mass mailing a bunch of different markets the last couple days.

Wow, same here. If a partner says something like "you resume looks impressive" it's almost certainly a ding for me. I wonder why.

heartbroken...interviewers of my only two callbacks all said something like "you have very good grades" "great background". And I have not heard back from them for over a week. (I am top third at a lower t14)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Once a firm starts complimenting you, you know you're in trouble.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 pm

"Good luck" is the kiss of death

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Once a firm starts complimenting you, you know you're in trouble.

What I wouldn't give for a partner to tell me I'm dogshit. That'd mean I'm in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Good luck" is the kiss of death

Even at callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Unless I get an offer from the CB I had two weeks ago (lol) or one of my mass mailings, I might take a year off. I gotta get surgery anyway so I can say it was for health reasons without it being an outright lie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Good luck" is the kiss of death

Even at callback?

Ehh now that I think about it maybe not but I still don't like hearing it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:23 pm

MVPD median. 19 interviews, 1 cb, 0 offers. All NYC, didn't sell my interest in corporate specifically well enough. Had several screener interviewers tell me I would be choosing from a ton of offers after OCIs, that my resume was impressive and it was a pleasure. Trying to focus on mass mailing midlaw and not think about the fact that a goal I've held for more than a decade--nyc big law--is out of reach for good after all the work I put in to getting in to t-13 and reaching median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:MVPD median. 19 interviews, 1 cb, 0 offers. All NYC, didn't sell my interest in corporate specifically well enough. Had several screener interviewers tell me I would be choosing from a ton of offers after OCIs, that my resume was impressive and it was a pleasure. Trying to focus on mass mailing midlaw and not think about the fact that a goal I've held for more than a decade--nyc big law--is out of reach for good after all the work I put in to getting in to t-13 and reaching median.

I'm sorry, I struck out too. 20 screeners, 0 CBs.. I dont think I'm unlikeable during interviews :oops: Would you or anyone mind informing me where you guys find midsize firms to massmail (since Vault and NALP does not show these firms)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:18 am

Upper T14, 3.1 GPA, 26 screeners, 1 CB, 0 Offer. I'm starting to feel that I should have gone to a lower ranked school for a better GPA. This process shit.

devilblue

New

Postby devilblue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Upper T14, 3.1 GPA, 26 screeners, 1 CB, 0 Offer. I'm starting to feel that I should have gone to a lower ranked school for a better GPA. This process shit.

Don't think like that. (1) you'll look back on it and be happy you went to the school you did. (2) you probably would have done no different at a lower school, and even if you did better, the options available to you would be worse/ less plentiful since it would be a worse school. So, while you'll still MM and land on your feet from your current school, that might not happen from lower one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Upper T14, 3.1 GPA, 26 screeners, 1 CB, 0 Offer. I'm starting to feel that I should have gone to a lower ranked school for a better GPA. This process shit.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to share because I also have a 3.1 at a mid-t14 and realized how absolutely imperative interviewing skills are ... I had 30 screeners, 8 CBs, and 2 offers so far. Here is a great thread that helped me ALOT: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278681 . Hopefully you get something out of it too.

Just remember two very important things:
(1) IT IS STILL EARLY -- seriously, now is the time to hustle, not give up hope. You have till mid-October approximately. Start now!
(2) YOU ARE A VALUABLE CANDIDATE -- a 3.1 isn't great but it certainly isn't bad.. remember that you go to a GREAT school and have a B+ average. A firm might not hire you solely for your grades, but they WILL hire you for your credentials and personality -- be confident.

Get back out there ASAP and mass mail like crazy. Screw school right now, focus on the job hunt. When you snag interviews, you need to crush them -- be sociable and human. Not too formal and stiff -- these are attorneys trying to figure out if you should be allowed to join the club; not traditional HR folks who expect canned answers. Good luck and don't give up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to share because I also have a 3.1 at a mid-t14 and realized how absolutely imperative interviewing skills are ... I had 30 screeners, 8 CBs, and 2 offers so far. Here is a great thread that helped me ALOT: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278681 . Hopefully you get something out of it too.

Just remember two very important things:
(1) IT IS STILL EARLY -- seriously, now is the time to hustle, not give up hope. You have till mid-October approximately. Start now!
(2) YOU ARE A VALUABLE CANDIDATE -- a 3.1 isn't great but it certainly isn't bad.. remember that you go to a GREAT school and have a B+ average. A firm might not hire you solely for your grades, but they WILL hire you for your credentials and personality -- be confident.

Get back out there ASAP and mass mail like crazy. Screw school right now, focus on the job hunt. When you snag interviews, you need to crush them -- be sociable and human. Not too formal and stiff -- these are attorneys trying to figure out if you should be allowed to join the club; not traditional HR folks who expect canned answers. Good luck and don't give up!

Second this. You are def still in the game. I have a friend at my lower T14 with 3.1GPA but managed to have 2 offers. Just do mass mailing and practice your interviews with your friends.

Return to “Legal Employment�