Debevoise, Sidley, or Weil (M&A / Private Equity)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Debevoise, Sidley, or Weil (M&A / Private Equity)

Debevoise
33%
Sidley
20%
Weil
47%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

Debevoise, Sidley, or Weil (M&A / Private Equity)?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Culture is slightly more important to me than prestige. I am interested in corporate work (specifically M&A / private equity). All NY offices. Which one should I go with?

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise, Sidley, or Weil (M&A / Private Equity)?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:39 pm

PE is Deb's strength, and Deb's known to have a great culture and reasonable (by NY standards) hours. I'd go with Deb.

Weil's a good firm but conducted significant layoffs only a few years ago. Since you have other options, I'd avoid Weil.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PE is Deb's strength, and Deb's known to have a great culture and reasonable (by NY standards) hours. I'd go with Deb.

Weil's a good firm but there've been some rumors of financial issues and layoffs recently. Since you have other options, I'd avoid Weil.

Haven't heard these rumors..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haven't heard these rumors..

Good point. Don't want to spread rumors without solid evidence. Have edited previous post accordingly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Who is voting for Sidley here? If you want M&A work in NYC, don't go to Sidley over Weil or Deb. I'd pick Weil here, as I think they have a stronger M&A team overall, but Deb is a great firm as well and if you like PE work, they are one of the best. Also, Weil is definitely not in financial trouble, so not sure where that is coming from.

Don't go to Sidley

EDIT: Do not use the layoffs from Weil a few years ago as a proxy, that was purely a litigation cut mostly out of Houston office. Corporate group is as strong as ever and the layoffs were done to position themselves for the future, not to shed bodies because they were in financial trouble. I wouldn't consider those layoffs in my decision whatsoever if doing corporate in the home office.

QContinuum

Bronze

Postby QContinuum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:41 pm

It's likely the Sidley voters are folks who'd otherwise vote for Deb over Weil, but take one look at Vault and go for Sidley instead. :P

But lol @ "the layoffs were done to position themselves for the future, not to shed bodies." That's right up there with "it's not you, it's me."

obx

New

Postby obx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Sidley really isn't in the same league here. Debevoise is a great firm, but more narrow on the m&a front. All told, weil is a stronger m&a firm probably but it's close. Weil and deb have different cultures, pick the one you like. I personally detested debevoise's "great culture" when interviewing/choosing, but everyone is different. I like the people in weil m&a, but be aware the firm splits up its private and public m&a into different groups even for first years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 pm

OP here, thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm leaning toward either Debevoise or Weil. Does anyone have any insights into the culture of Weil's corporate groups?

obx wrote:Sidley really isn't in the same league here. Debevoise is a great firm, but more narrow on the m&a front. All told, weil is a stronger m&a firm probably but it's close. Weil and deb have different cultures, pick the one you like. I personally detested debevoise's "great culture" when interviewing/choosing, but everyone is different. I like the people in weil m&a, but be aware the firm splits up its private and public m&a into different groups even for first years.

obx: Between public and private M&A, which leads to more exit opportunities down the road in your opinion?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 pm

OP again. Between Weil and Debevoise, which firm's reputation (or "name" or "brand") will carry more weight if I attempt to move in-house at a PE firm after 4-5 years? Any insights are appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Between Weil and Debevoise, which firm's reputation (or "name" or "brand") will carry more weight if I attempt to move in-house at a PE firm after 4-5 years? Any insights are appreciated!

Deb is a MUCH stronger PE firm. Up there with STB and K&E. Granted I don't know much about Weil, but if you want PE in NYC you can't do any better than Deb.

BKing

New

Postby BKing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Deb has arguably the best private funds practice (fund formation) - not only in the US but also in Asia. Weil also has a solid private funds formation practice.

PE transactions (buyouts) are a totally different animal. In this area, Deb and Weil are in the same league.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Between Weil and Debevoise, which firm's reputation (or "name" or "brand") will carry more weight if I attempt to move in-house at a PE firm after 4-5 years? Any insights are appreciated!

As a warning, many PE firms tend to have very small in-house teams. If you want to go in-house for a PE firm, fund formation is your best bet. PE firms don't need a ton of M&A lawyers in-house- several firms have no M&A type lawyers in-house.

obx

New

Postby obx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Deb is a MUCH stronger PE firm. Up there with STB and K&E. Granted I don't know much about Weil, but if you want PE in NYC you can't do any better than Deb.

This is just wrong. Weil and debevoise are literally in the same chambers band for pe buyouts (along with cleary and pw). And weil is actually banded higher for m&a in New York. Chambers isn't gospel but you actually don't seem like you have a clue.

Op- between the two you're splitting hairs in terms of brand and exit opps. Been said a ton before, but your experience is what will matter, and these firms have very similar pe m&a "prestige". Weil probably has marginally better public m&a work but really this is the same exact tier.
Last edited by obx on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:22 am

obx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is just wrong. Weil and debevoise are literally in the same chambers band for pe buyouts (along with cleary and pw). And weil is actually banded higher for m&a in New York. Chambers isn't gospel but you actually don't seem like you have a clue.

Ah yes, because actually speaking with people who work in the groups at these firms pales in comparison to the almighty chambers...

obx

New

Postby obx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
obx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah yes, because actually speaking with people who work in the groups at these firms pales in comparison to the almighty chambers...

Right you're the only one who knows/works with people at these firms.

obx

New

Postby obx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:34 am

BKing wrote:Deb has arguably the best private funds practice (fund formation) - not only in the US but also in Asia. Weil also has a solid private funds formation practice.

PE transactions (buyouts) are a totally different animal. In this area, Deb and Weil are in the same league.

I'm gonna go ahead and second this just in case OP gets swayed by anonymous user who has "talked to people who work at these firms" which means something to someone somewhere maybe I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 am

obx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Op- between the two you're splitting hairs in terms of brand and exit opps. Been said a ton before, but your experience is what will matter, and these firms have very similar pe m&a "prestige". Weil probably has marginally better public m&a work but really this is the same exact tier.

I worked at Weil in corporate, they have a booming PE practice. Their bread and butter is public M&A, but their PE clients include Brookflied, Advent International, Providence Equity, etc. Deb is definitely known more for PE than Weil, but not sure if that is cause they are better, or just because Weil is so much more known for bankruptcy/public M&A. I thought people at Weil were intense, but really good at their jobs and generally easy to get a long with.

Also, please, for the love of god, do not make decisions on "brand names". If you do M&A work at Weil or Deb, you are in a great spot to go in-house pretty much anywhere you want. I know just having Weil on my resume has opened up doors to in house positions I never thought I'd be competitive for given my lackluster GPA and I'm sure Deb does the same.

Lastly, PE in house roles are few and far between. Many of these funds have like 1-2 real deal lawyers in house and it is really hard to get a job. Public M&A seems like the easiest way to build a reputation and get in house offers fairly quickly.

Return to “Legal Employment�