How Do I Handle This?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313700
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How Do I Handle This?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello TLS friends,

I need some advice. I am a rising 3L at a T20 and worked at a smaller firm over the summer. On the day I left, I was told by a partner that the firm is interested in considering me for an entry-level position after I graduate next year. I was told to contact this partner if I had interest in coming back. I told this partner that I have a few interviews for OCI and would need to talk about to my fiance about my options, and would get back to her before the end of the month. I emailed this partner on Tuesday morning expressing my interest in an entry-level position with the firm, but I have not heard back yet. I understand this partner is busy, but should I consider sending a follow-up email at some point? And if so, when?

Thank you in advance!

omar1

Bronze
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 am

Re: How Do I Handle This?

Postby omar1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I'd wait at least a week or two before following up. Also, IMO you made a bad bad bad move not taking the offer on the spot and then looking for something better with an offer in the pocket...

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: How Do I Handle This?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm

omar1 wrote:I'd wait at least a week or two before following up. Also, IMO you made a bad bad bad move not taking the offer on the spot and then looking for something better with an offer in the pocket...


This is horrible advice.

You would have made a bad move to take the offer on the spot and then try to trade up. If you did do this and did trade up you would have torched that bridge fully, which could bite you in the ass down the line.

Wait one week and then reply to your email to follow up.

QContinuum

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: How Do I Handle This?

Postby QContinuum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
omar1 wrote:I'd wait at least a week or two before following up. Also, IMO you made a bad bad bad move not taking the offer on the spot and then looking for something better with an offer in the pocket...


This is horrible advice.

You would have made a bad move to take the offer on the spot and then try to trade up. If you did do this and did trade up you would have torched that bridge fully, which could bite you in the ass down the line.

Wait one week and then reply to your email to follow up.


Smokey is right. Accepting and reneging is just about the worst thing one can do. I think OP underestimated the difficulty of 3L OCI, but I still don't think OP should've accepted on the spot.

Specifically in reply to OP's question, yes, it's too soon to follow up. Wait at least a week.

omar1

Bronze
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:41 am

Re: How Do I Handle This?

Postby omar1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:39 pm

QContinuum wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
omar1 wrote:I'd wait at least a week or two before following up. Also, IMO you made a bad bad bad move not taking the offer on the spot and then looking for something better with an offer in the pocket...


This is horrible advice.

You would have made a bad move to take the offer on the spot and then try to trade up. If you did do this and did trade up you would have torched that bridge fully, which could bite you in the ass down the line.

Wait one week and then reply to your email to follow up.


Smokey is right. Accepting and reneging is just about the worst thing one can do. I think OP underestimated the difficulty of 3L OCI, but I still don't think OP should've accepted on the spot.

Specifically in reply to OP's question, yes, it's too soon to follow up. Wait at least a week.


Accepting and reneging sounds better in my book than refusing and being unemployed. But that's just me. I understand what you and Smokey mean and I agree in that doesn't look good and all the bridges with that firm are smoked.

Good luck OP!



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.