Winston v. Norton Rose v. Hughes Hubbard

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston v. Norton Rose v. Hughes Hubbard

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 am

All in NYC, interested in lit. I felt that I "fit" at certain firms, but would like to hear opinions on professional opportunities, clients, firm culture, etc. - any comments are very much appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Winston v. Norton Rose v. Hughes Hubbard

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am

HH is the most stable and offers the most interesting work of these three.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am

Also do not underestimate how much better working downtown is than working in midtown...

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also do not underestimate how much better working downtown is than working in midtown...

Not necessarily, depending on where you live. Midtown offers convenience to Grand Central and Penn Station. Don't underestimate that if you plan to commute or aspire to a bigger place in a few years (which means you'll most likely be commuting in). The trip from midtown to downtown can easily add an hour to your day, which is nothing to sneeze at when you're working BigLaw hours.

I also don't really see the allure of working downtown. Sure, downtown's much cooler, but how often will you be out and about enjoying downtown vs. being chained to your desk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also do not underestimate how much better working downtown is than working in midtown...

Not necessarily, depending on where you live. Midtown offers convenience to Grand Central and Penn Station. Don't underestimate that if you plan to commute or aspire to a bigger place in a few years (which means you'll most likely be commuting in). The trip from midtown to downtown can easily add an hour to your day, which is nothing to sneeze at when you're working BigLaw hours.

I also don't really see the allure of working downtown. Sure, downtown's much cooler, but how often will you be out and about enjoying downtown vs. being chained to your desk?

Downtown gives you a lot more flexibility in where you can live in both Brooklyn and Manhattan if you want to be within a couple subway stops of work and not have to change trains, because it is so walkable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Downtown gives you a lot more flexibility in where you can live in both Brooklyn and Manhattan if you want to be within a couple subway stops of work and not have to change trains, because it is so walkable.

Yeah but the Manhattan-Brooklyn connection is where the subway always breaks down so keep that in mind.

UDtoLawSchool

New

Postby UDtoLawSchool » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Will be accepting my offer for HH on Wednesday after my second look. I also want litigation and know someone who was a summer associate this summer and absolutely loved it.

Return to “Legal Employment�