Deciding between two permanent (not SA) offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm would you pick?

Firm A
No votes
Firm B
100%

Total votes: 12

Anonymous User

Deciding between two permanent (not SA) offers

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 am

Firm A is in a small southern market. Starting comp is 110,000 and stays fairly flat until you make partner at which point it goes to around $400,000. And making partner is a real possibility: the firm has three times more partners than associates and the number of first years hired each year about equals the number of partners made each year.

Firm B is in a bigger southern market and pays NY market comp. Making partner is very unlikely but the exit options are much better than Firm A.

acr

Silver

Re: Deciding between two permanent (not SA) offers

Post by acr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 am

Sounds like it's a gamble between trading up-front cash (i.e. the NYC market salary) for a chance at higher future income (i.e. partnership). Without more information about the firms beyond "very good chance of making partnership," and without more information about you personally, I'm not sure what anyone here will be able to tell you.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:25 am

acr wrote:Sounds like it's a gamble between trading up-front cash (i.e. the NYC market salary) for a chance at higher future income (i.e. partnership). Without more information about the firms beyond "very good chance of making partnership," and without more information about you personally, I'm not sure what anyone here will be able to tell you.
Agreed. i mean, do you truly have no preference between the markets? Seems like especially when it gets to a "small southern market" versus "bigger southern market" i would really factor that in...

darlenealderson

Bronze

Post by darlenealderson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:18 am

I'd pick firm B based solely on the fact that you may discover a few years in that this isn't the right path for you or that you don't necessarily want to stay in the same place. There would still be a chance you could lateral to a firm like firm A at that point or have other options, whereas firm A from the start sort of locks you in to that firm and market or analogous jobs elsewhere should you move. Life is so unpredictable as well, if you have the choice between money now and a high chance at money later, you may be wiser to choose later but personally I'd always choose now, especially if you have loans or other obligations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”