Chicago Biglaw, Corp -- Suggestions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago Biglaw, Corp -- Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 am

Hello everyone. Happy with the solid number of offers received from Chicago biglaw firms. Very nice problem to have. I'm weighing a few, currently, any thoughts are always appreciated.

I go to a T10 school not in Chicago, want to live in Chicago (hometown). Most interested in corporate transactions, M&A, PE, wouldn't mind trying Tax. I'm looking for a firm that is going to throw me into the fire quickly, allow me to meet clients quickly, good balance of interacting with both partners and associates. Making partner at the first firm I go to work is not a priority. It's much more important to me that I get quality work and have strong exit options.

The firms I am most considering are:
Winston,
Ropes (Chicago),
DLA,
Baker,
Jones

I'm considering turning down Jones, which really leaves only the other 4. And they're all very different environments. Seems to me that most firms have strong middle market PE work, they all do it a little, they get whatever is leftover from KE, maybe? I like the global aspects of DLA, the size of Ropes (smaller firm with a larger name/reputation could be good. Or not), the people at Winston (but the people everywhere seem great). I like the Baker tax stuff but it seems most of the community thinks Baker is on a downswing or something?

And for those thinking "What about Sidley/Skadden/Mayer/Kirkland?" -- well, take your guess. If I don't mention the firm above, I either turned them down or they turned me down. The ones listed are the offers.

Bach-City

Bronze

Re: Chicago Biglaw, Corp -- Suggestions?

Postby Bach-City » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:31 am

Last edited by Bach-City on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:52 am

I would go with Winston here. They have a pretty decent PE/MA. Chicago is their hq. Ropes is decent, but small in Chicago. I don't trust the swiss verein model of DLA and Baker, although both have well respected Chicago offices. I think Winston would give you the most exit options in Chicago though

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 am

Probably Winston if you want the prestige/client exit ops.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am

Johann wrote:Probably Winston if you want the prestige/client exit ops.

I'd vote Ropes.

POA

New

Postby POA » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 am

probably Winston - while I am sure someone will chime in F* Winston (because of a number of summer no offers a few years back), I think the firm is the best option. While KE gets most of the large PE work in Chicago, Winston does a lot of the mid-market PE stuff and has a decent number of institutional PE clients. Also, agree with above poster re: importance pf Chicago HQ office as a factor to consider. I dont work at Winston, but for what it is worth, friends that do generally have positive things to say about the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 am

Given that teams works cross-office at Ropes in many cases, may be worth looking at overall firm work/clients too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm weighing similar firms--I'm chiefly interested in Mayer vs. Winston. I like both, Winston seems stronger with PE, Mayer with Banking/Debt.

Thoughts on exits and brand-name between Mayer and Winston?

Return to “Legal Employment�