2L Job with 1L Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Job with 1L Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Got an offer to come back to my 1L firm for only a few weeks next summer, so I need to find a job for the rest of my 2L summer. Problem: I struck out at OCI. Will my 1L firm offer me a full-time job if I end up at a shitty firm in my 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Job with 1L Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 am

I went back to my 1L summer firm for four weeks 2L summer and got an offer. They invited you back because they are interested in hiring you.

That said, is it possible to just tell 1L summer firm that you decided that you don't want to go anywhere else and you want to spend the full summer with them again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went back to my 1L summer firm for four weeks 2L summer and got an offer. They invited you back because they are interested in hiring you.

That said, is it possible to just tell 1L summer firm that you decided that you don't want to go anywhere else and you want to spend the full summer with them again?

Should be fine. Only way to know for sure is to check with recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went back to my 1L summer firm for four weeks 2L summer and got an offer. They invited you back because they are interested in hiring you.

I already asked. My 1L firm does not allow anyone to spend two full summers at the firm. Some 1Ls did not even get the offers to come back at all.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 am

Only one way to find out. Keep mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I already asked. My 1L firm does not allow anyone to spend two full summers at the firm. Some 1Ls did not even get the offers to come back at all.

Try for a public interest job, or research assistant to a professor. You can sell it as wanting to be a more well-rounded attorney by getting exposure to different areas of the law. You're already going to a law firm next summer, and you want a different experience that you won't be able to get anytime in the future because you're already 100% committed to your firm.

Return to “Legal Employment�