Splitting Analysis

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting Analysis

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Hello, I am considering splitting between a top firm in DC and a top firm in a secondary market. The secondary market is like an Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Phoenix, etc. type and the pay is $150k to start. The question I have is, should I split? Does splitting reduce my chances of getting an offer at either place? What I'm worried about is that I spend a half summer at each and get zero offers because I only was there half the summer.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Splitting Analysis

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Most firms dont even allow splitting anymore, especially DC offices. This might be putting the cart before the horse.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Splitting Analysis

Postby UVA2B » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 pm

If the firms regularly let students split, then it shouldn't be a big problem. Are you leaning to one market or the other? Do you have one firm you particularly want an offer from, or are you genuinely split (beyond the pay discrepancy)?

Splitting a summer can be a good call if you really want to experience two different markets and two different practices, but if you're only doing it to compare and contrast where you have a clear favorite, I would hesitate to split. And if either firm doesn't normally allow splitting, consider that before you ask for it, because that will obviously read negatively.

Return to “Legal Employment�