"We're sorry we can't invite you for further interviews"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"We're sorry we can't invite you for further interviews"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Received this email from a firm the day after my callback, from a listserv based email address. I know it's a ding, but it seems like an odd way to phrase a rejection after a callback when there aren't supposed to be further interviews...this is my first ding after a callback though, so maybe I'm wrong. Is this a weird email to get or normal?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Re: "We're sorry we can't invite you for further interviews"

Postby KissMyAxe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah, it's a weird email, but it's just one of those generic, boilerplate rejections. They probably use the same email for screeners and callbacks. I wouldn't read too much into it.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah, odd phrasing but almost certainly a ding. Maybe there was a miscommunication somewhere along the way.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I suggest sending a passive-aggressive response along these lines:

Dear [Recruiter]:

Thank you for providing an update. Your apology is unnecessary, as I was already assuming that no further interviews would take place.

When do you expect that [FIRM] will decide whether to extend me an offer for Summer 2018?

Sincerely,
Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Ok, at least I'm not alone in thinking it's odd. I thought that cb went well too, I guess it's just hard to tell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm

FWIW - I don't want to give you false hope, but I was in a sort of similar situation when I did OCI. I was offered a CB at a satellite office by the partner I initially screened with, and then the next day I received an email from a recruiter at HQ saying that they had reviewed my application and that I would not be invited for further interviews. Naturally I freaked, but miscommunications happen--apparently I was accidentally on a mass rejection email as my CB still went forward and I ultimately got and accepted an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Yea, I think that's just how WilmerHale does their CB dings. Definitely odd phrasing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Hmm this wasn't from wilmerhale but irritating that this is a thing.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:Yeah, it's a weird email, but it's just one of those generic, boilerplate rejections. They probably use the same email for screeners and callbacks. I wouldn't read too much into it.

This. No need to read beyond the generic, "thank you for your interest in..." line. It's a rejection. It doesn't really matter what form it takes.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:I suggest sending a passive-aggressive response along these lines:

Dear [Recruiter]:

Thank you for providing an update. Your apology is unnecessary, as I was already assuming that no further interviews would take place.

When do you expect that [FIRM] will decide whether to extend me an offer for Summer 2018?

Sincerely,
Anonymous User

+1

Return to “Legal Employment�