Mass mail to major markets: response rate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass mail to major markets: response rate?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 am

Some background: I'm a rising 2L with slightly below median (~0.1) grades in T-14. Have some severe medical issues during 1L so grade-wise I'm screwed for sure. At this point I'm pretty sure I've already struck out. Now I've applied for 200+ firms online. I don't have ties outside of the major markets (NY, Chi, DC, etc). I've enjoyed law school a lot so far, so dropping out isn't an option.

The consensus on TLS is to keep mass mailing until one bites. But I'm curious what are your experiences with mass mail? What's the chance the hiring contacts will get back to you? So far, almost 3 weeks after OCI, I've heard from none of the 200+ firms. I haven't had my hopes high but it's been extremely frustrating.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass mail to major markets: response rate?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Some background: I'm a rising 2L with slightly below median (~0.1) grades in T-14. Have some severe medical issues during 1L so grade-wise I'm screwed for sure. At this point I'm pretty sure I've already struck out. Now I've applied for 200+ firms online. I don't have ties outside of the major markets (NY, Chi, DC, etc). I've enjoyed law school a lot so far, so dropping out isn't an option.

The consensus on TLS is to keep mass mailing until one bites. But I'm curious what are your experiences with mass mail? What's the chance the hiring contacts will get back to you? So far, almost 3 weeks after OCI, I've heard from none of the 200+ firms. I haven't had my hopes high but it's been extremely frustrating.

I'm up to 400 emails and 200 online submissions since OCI two weeks ago. I've gotten mostly "go online" and "too many apps, not taking any more." I have one sort of nibble on the other side of the country because I currently work for their client corporation. I transferee from an 80 ranked school to a top 20-30 and am on law review and top 10% of the class. Never thought I'd be in this position but it's the only option we have. Keep pushing homie.

Return to “Legal Employment�