Gibson Dunn NY?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson Dunn NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Considering an offer there and of the firms I've been to, I felt the most comfortable there by far. I also have offers from places that maybe have more "prestige" in NY. But obviously I've heard great things about GD, especially in lit which I think I'm interested in. Just wondering if people who know more than me can speak to the NY office's rep and abilities across the board. I'm interested in being in NY/the east coast long-term at least as of now. I am cool with free-market. Fit over prestige at this point?

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson Dunn NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Considering an offer there and of the firms I've been to, I felt the most comfortable there by far. I also have offers from places that maybe have more "prestige" in NY. But obviously I've heard great things about GD, especially in lit which I think I'm interested in. Just wondering if people who know more than me can speak to the NY office's rep and abilities across the board. I'm interested in being in NY/the east coast long-term at least as of now. I am cool with free-market. Fit over prestige at this point?

summered there this year so can't speak to rep/exit options but I had an awesome time. great people, interesting lit cases, all-around well done summer program. thus far I have no regrets about picking it over several v5 options. in other things like clerkship hiring I've also never felt GDC had a lack of lit prestige.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:46 am

Anyone else? I guess one thing that worries/intrigues me is that the firm really does seem to have a lot of its cases and culture tied back to its CA roots. Obviously the NY office isn't a satellite, but it's still not the firm's HQ, at least not officially. But any thoughts generally are appreciated. I've felt positive and excited at a bunch of firms, but for whatever reasons, I felt a different level of positivity and excitement at GDC (guess I should use the right acronym).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else? I guess one thing that worries/intrigues me is that the firm really does seem to have a lot of its cases and culture tied back to its CA roots. Obviously the NY office isn't a satellite, but it's still not the firm's HQ, at least not officially. But any thoughts generally are appreciated. I've felt positive and excited at a bunch of firms, but for whatever reasons, I felt a different level of positivity and excitement at GDC (guess I should use the right acronym).

The NY office is actually the firm's largest. It sounds to me like you may actually like the CA cultural roots, and as far as cases go, because GDC doesn't silo revenues from different offices, work can arise from anywhere. Also, just because a firm isn't HQ'ed in NY, doesn't mean it isn't a big player in the NY market. If you look at Vault's NY rankings, they're 14, which definitely does not scream satellite in the way you're looking at it. The DC office is also a satellite, but look at the incredible work they've done. I'm also looking here so that's just my two cents based on what I've learned and people I've spoken to. Also there are benefits to not being in a NY HQ setting, particularly in terms of culture, so you may be unconsciously responding to that as well.

Return to “Legal Employment�