Protocol for Deciding Between Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327288
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Protocol for Deciding Between Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:41 pm

I currently have two offers that I'm very interested in, but I'm also waiting to hear back on one more callback. Quick questions on etiquette: If an attorney who interviewed me called me (a day after I got the official offer) and left a message saying she'd be happy to speak with me, answer questions, etc, do I need to call her back, even if I don't have any questions right now?

Second, should I wait until the reaffirmation deadline to officially reaffirm my interest with the firm, or should I do so ASAP? Both firms have been really nice, but also pretty clearly want a decision from me soon, obviously. Just wondering what I can do, if anything, to make this decision period as smooth as possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327288
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Protocol for Deciding Between Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently have two offers that I'm very interested in, but I'm also waiting to hear back on one more callback. Quick questions on etiquette: If an attorney who interviewed me called me (a day after I got the official offer) and left a message saying she'd be happy to speak with me, answer questions, etc, do I need to call her back, even if I don't have any questions right now?

Second, should I wait until the reaffirmation deadline to officially reaffirm my interest with the firm, or should I do so ASAP? Both firms have been really nice, but also pretty clearly want a decision from me soon, obviously. Just wondering what I can do, if anything, to make this decision period as smooth as possible.


1. You already have the offer, so no "need" to call this person back, but the courteous thing to do would be to call or email back and just say "got your message, thanks for getting in touch, i'll be sure to contact you with any questions that come up"

2. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think there's no rush to do this. Again, you already have the offer, they're not going to withdraw the offer or anything because you take a while to reaffirm. Maybe don't wait until the last minute, but no need to do it right away.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.