What to do...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324975
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What to do...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello!

I accepted a full time offer at the end of my summer program with a satellite office of a big firm in a secondary market. Kind of regretting my decision to accept the offer, though. The office is located in a city across the country from the city in which I grew up in/attend law school—this has me worried. If I could go back, I would not have accepted on the spot and would have given myself much more time to evaluate what cards I had in front of me. But, unfortunately, I made a snap call based on present feelings (that is, I enjoyed my summer with the firm, and told myself it's better to be employed than in search of employment).

My questions: Would any of you recommend searching for other options in my desired city, potentially reneging on my acceptance if something better came up? Or, just bite the bullet, move, work, and reevaluate my options in a couple of years?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Should I have accepted?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

If you're not worried about potentially lateraling to this firm, and you'd truly be unhappy at the firm in that office, you should be seeking out other opportunities. Reneging happens, and it'll burn a bridge more than likely with that firm, but you need to do what is best for your own career.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324975
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to do...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 pm

OP here --

Thanks for replying! That's the take I had on it, and I'm glad to see someone else agrees. If anyone else has an opinion on this, would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

QContinuum

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: What to do...

Postby QContinuum » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 am

I wouldn't jump to reneging as a first option. You say this is a satellite office of a big firm. Does the firm have another office in the city where you grew up/attend law school - or, failing that, does the firm at least have another office in a city you could see yourself living in? It's very possible at many firms to switch offices - and it should even be a bit easier in your case, since you'd be migrating out of a satellite office (instead of trying to get in).

If the above doesn't work, I'd still be wary about reneging. You've no doubt seen the numerous posts here on TLS about 3L OCI being a nightmare. If you're at, say, a V10, it should be a tad more realistic, but even then it's orders of magnitude tougher than landing a 2L SA. IMO best thing to do in that case would be to put in two or three years, then lateral.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: What to do...

Postby UVA2B » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 am

QContinuum wrote:I wouldn't jump to reneging as a first option. You say this is a satellite office of a big firm. Does the firm have another office in the city where you grew up/attend law school - or, failing that, does the firm at least have another office in a city you could see yourself living in? It's very possible at many firms to switch offices - and it should even be a bit easier in your case, since you'd be migrating out of a satellite office (instead of trying to get in).

If the above doesn't work, I'd still be wary about reneging. You've no doubt seen the numerous posts here on TLS about 3L OCI being a nightmare. If you're at, say, a V10, it should be a tad more realistic, but even then it's orders of magnitude tougher than landing a 2L SA. IMO best thing to do in that case would be to put in two or three years, then lateral.


I could be off on this for sure, but I just assumed OP meant they would keep their job offer while mass mailing other firms in their hometown city to see if they can find a way back there vice staying in their current firm.

Great advice though about seeing if the firm can lateral you to a more desirable office or even back to the hometown, and I absolutely agree there are other ways of getting where they want to go. Reneging for sure shouldn't be a first option, and really should be the last option, but do you think there is harm in sending off applications just to see if anyone bites? I can't really think of any.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324975
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to do...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

OP here --

Yeah, I wouldn't renege without having another option secured beforehand. As the previous poster mentioned, I planned to send out my info to firms in the city in which I hope to be in, and if something materializes into an offer, only then would I renege.

As for lateraling, unfortunately my firm doesn't have an office in the city I want to be in :/

QContinuum

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: What to do...

Postby QContinuum » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

UVA2B wrote:I could be off on this for sure, but I just assumed OP meant they would keep their job offer while mass mailing other firms in their hometown city to see if they can find a way back there vice staying in their current firm.

Great advice though about seeing if the firm can lateral you to a more desirable office or even back to the hometown, and I absolutely agree there are other ways of getting where they want to go. Reneging for sure shouldn't be a first option, and really should be the last option, but do you think there is harm in sending off applications just to see if anyone bites? I can't really think of any.


Agree completely. If the internal transfer option doesn't work out, no harm in applying and seeing what bites. I still think OP should seriously consider the relative downsides of burning a bridge vs. working for two-three years in a less desirable location, but I agree reneging - while bad - isn't something that should be categorically ruled out.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.