Thank You Notes/Emails

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313563
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 am

Do you all send thank you notes/emails to your interviewers following a callback? I have heard mixed messages - some say it is a good thing and others say it is a bad idea because it annoys the attorneys and it can only hurt you (in case there is a typo, etc.).

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 am

There are lots and lots of threads about this here, if you want to read what others have already written

Anonymous User
Posts: 313563
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:some say it is a good thing and others say it is a bad idea because it annoys the attorneys and it can only hurt you (in case there is a typo, etc.).

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 833
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am

:lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 313563
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some say it is a good thing and others say it is a bad idea because it annoys the attorneys and it can only hurt you (in case there is a typo, etc.).
This is my first recruiting season on the attorney side and at least at my firm at the callback stage, attorneys submit their evals usually right after the interview happens. So at most it *could* (but likely won’t) be helpful if the attorney was borderline and it *could* be harmful if you say something stupid (e.g. mix up firms or interviewers or stories that you told about why you want to be in X city); I doubt I would even notice typos since I get a million emails a day and don’t really want to spend time proofreading a largely irrelevant email. I can’t speak for the screener stage.

Definitely don’t send thank yous to the people who take you to lunch unless they aren’t associates (read: important people). Lunches are more about confirming fit and giving you the opportunity to ask questions in a more informal environment. My firm doesn’t even require the lunch “interviewers” to fill out evals unless something happens (e.g. person says they only want to do X practice area but your firm doesn’t have that practice area; you say something bad about an interviewer; other stupid things). Anon because I’m petty sure my firm knows my TLS handle.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby mjb447 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:36 am

Taking bets on how many pages this thank you notes thread gets to (invariably failing to improve on the first few comments).

Anonymous User
Posts: 313563
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 am

Fwiw, I revised my previously high score due to a sloppy thank you note and recommended that the candidate not receive an offer.

Result: no offer.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby BigZuck » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:42 am

mjb447 wrote:Taking bets on how many pages this thank you notes thread gets to (invariably failing to improve on the first few comments).

I'd set the over/under at 3, happy to officially do so if you'd like

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some say it is a good thing and others say it is a bad idea because it annoys the attorneys and it can only hurt you (in case there is a typo, etc.).

Minnietron

Silver
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby Minnietron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Only send thank you notes if they are on organic, fair-trade stationary. You cannot risk offending those who know the difference.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PotatoSalad

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Thank You Notes/Emails

Postby PotatoSalad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:22 pm

mjb447 wrote:Taking bets on how many pages this thank you notes thread gets to (invariably failing to improve on the first few comments).

It would help if law school career services would simply settle it once and for all.

With respect to CB interviews my school stated: "Send thank you emails within 24 hours of your interview."

But, when writing these up, you can't help but feel like you're bothering the attorneys.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.