Major (Chicago) GP v. Major IP Boutique: Quantifiable Differences?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Major (Chicago) GP v. Major IP Boutique: Quantifiable Differences?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

I'm trying to make a final decision on firms and I'm curious as to what is actually different, day-to-day, between the IP lit groups at major midwest GP (Kirkland, Sidley, W&S, etc.) vs. major IP boutiques (specifically Fish, but Finnegan, Fitzpatrick, Knobbe included).

I understand at most GPs you can't do much/any patent pros., though from what I've discussed with attorneys at these boutiques, you get priced out of that after a few years, anyway (with clients moving to fixed fee arrangements). The clientele seems to be reasonably similar across GP and Bout. When it comes to hours/lifestyle, minimum billables seem to be comparable, but I understand that doesn't tell the whole story. Could someone with some experience speak to the actual differences between working in these 2 environments, if possible? Am I going to be working considerably more or less at any of these places?

Anonymous User

Re: Major (Chicago) GP v. Major IP Boutique: Quantifiable Differences?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 am

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=280569&p=10124312&hilit=Ip+showdown#p10124312

OP in this thread, some decent info there on this sort of decision, albeit in DC.

Return to “Legal Employment�