Declination Etiquette

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cbbinnyc

Bronze

Declination Etiquette

Postby cbbinnyc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread (I did an admittedly cursory search and didn't find anything on point) but, if an interviewer that you clicked with reached out to congratulate you on an offer, is it polite to inform them personally about your decision to decline the offer in addition to the recruitment people, or is that more of an annoyance than a welcome sign of courtesy?

lilboat

New

Re: Declination Etiquette

Postby lilboat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I just did this today. The partner I spoke to seemed to appreciate the call. It's very possible you will cross paths with these people again so I figure it can't hurt.

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:41 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread (I did an admittedly cursory search and didn't find anything on point) but, if an interviewer that you clicked with reached out to congratulate you on an offer, is it polite to inform them personally about your decision to decline the offer in addition to the recruitment people, or is that more of an annoyance than a welcome sign of courtesy?

If you really connected, I don't see it as a problem. I wouldn't do it as a matter of course, though.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread (I did an admittedly cursory search and didn't find anything on point) but, if an interviewer that you clicked with reached out to congratulate you on an offer, is it polite to inform them personally about your decision to decline the offer in addition to the recruitment people, or is that more of an annoyance than a welcome sign of courtesy?

I feel like it would not be polite ignoring their congratulatory email.

Return to “Legal Employment�