Philly firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philly firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 am

Did Philly firms hand out offers yet? How late did they typically close the list in recent years?
I mass emailed them but got no responses. Median at T14, worked in Philly my 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Re: Philly firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:42 am

I interviewed with a few Philly firms during OCI and so far I haven't heard back from any of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did Philly firms hand out offers yet? How late did they typically close the list in recent years?
I mass emailed them but got no responses. Median at T14, worked in Philly my 1L summer.

Not sure how late they will keep giving offers but I know Morgan, Dechert, Duane Morris, and Ballard all have offers out. I'm sure there will be some wiggle room as people turn down offers in the coming weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 pm

T14 friend has had CB's at Fox, Saul Ewing, Duane, and DLA Piper and hasn't heard from any either way. I think they still have 2 more CB's upcoming at other firms not listed below as having given offers yet too. So I think outside of the biggest 3 or 4 firms, there hasn't been much movement yet, but I expect that things will have mostly sorted themselves out by the end of this month...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Can anyone compare Dechert, Morgan, Duane Morris, and Drinker for me? Is work/life balance at Dechert and Morgan really worse than others? I like the people at DM and Drinker better, but Dechert and Morgan seem to have more prestige and pay better. Corporate leaning, if it makes any difference. Challenging work is good, but I don't really care what type of work that I will do. I just want a comfortable workplace to earn easy money and if I'm lucky, I can make partner one day. No intention to go into gov or in-house.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone compare Dechert, Morgan, Duane Morris, and Drinker for me? Is work/life balance at Dechert and Morgan really worse than others? I like the people at DM and Drinker better, but Dechert and Morgan seem to have more prestige and pay better. Corporate leaning, if it makes any difference. Challenging work is good, but I don't really care what type of work that I will do. I just want a comfortable workplace to earn easy money and if I'm lucky, I can make partner one day. No intention to go into gov or in-house.

I wouldn't do Dechert because of the stories on ATL/elsewhere. Just seems too risky. I've had friends at Morgan and it's definitely the closest to NYC hours you'll find in Philly, but associates still generally left by 7-8pm most days. None of these will be "comfortable" or "easy money" lol so good luck with that, but I don't necessarily think Duane or Drinker have hours significantly better or worse than Morgan (just based on anecdotes I've heard) so I'd do Morgan unless you really disliked the people/culture there. And if you ever want to lateral, it'll be easier to go from Morgan to Duane/Drinker than the other way around...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Any more news? I had CBs with Saul Ewing and DM at the beginning of the month. I emailed to check in and both told me that the hiring committee would get me new soon. I got those emails yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone compare Dechert, Morgan, Duane Morris, and Drinker for me? Is work/life balance at Dechert and Morgan really worse than others? I like the people at DM and Drinker better, but Dechert and Morgan seem to have more prestige and pay better. Corporate leaning, if it makes any difference. Challenging work is good, but I don't really care what type of work that I will do. I just want a comfortable workplace to earn easy money and if I'm lucky, I can make partner one day. No intention to go into gov or in-house.

I wouldn't do Dechert because of the stories on ATL/elsewhere. Just seems too risky. I've had friends at Morgan and it's definitely the closest to NYC hours you'll find in Philly, but associates still generally left by 7-8pm most days. None of these will be "comfortable" or "easy money" lol so good luck with that, but I don't necessarily think Duane or Drinker have hours significantly better or worse than Morgan (just based on anecdotes I've heard) so I'd do Morgan unless you really disliked the people/culture there. And if you ever want to lateral, it'll be easier to go from Morgan to Duane/Drinker than the other way around...

Also consider those firms. What are the differences in term of client base and career advancement? Is it easier to make partner at Drinker/Duane than Dechert/Morgan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 pm

How are the salaries of associates at big law in Philadelphia vs other large markets like NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are the salaries of associates at big law in Philadelphia vs other large markets like NYC?

Morgan, Dechert, DLA Piper, and Hogan all do 180k for first years. The rest range from 150k-165k but your dollar goes a whole lot further than in NYC, even after the Philly city wage tax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Ding from PH. About 1 week after CB.

silence from DM, but I know people that got offers already, so probably not good news for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are the salaries of associates at big law in Philadelphia vs other large markets like NYC?

Morgan, Dechert, DLA Piper, and Hogan all do 180k for first years. The rest range from 150k-165k but your dollar goes a whole lot further than in NYC, even after the Philly city wage tax.

Do you (or anyone) have any clue what the raise situation is at the 180k firms after first year? Does it follow the NY scale (even if the firm may hold people back a class year at the firm's discretion) or does it flatten out? Black box?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Also interested in raises and bonuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 am

Any news from DE firms?

Return to “Legal Employment�