Callback Reimbursement Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Reimbursement Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Interviewed with Firms X and Y this week. I'm now stranded since the last leg of my flight home was cancelled, and the weather here is looking like I'm not getting out at all tonight.

The city I'm in now is an hour train ride from Firm Z, which I was planning to fly to from my home on Sunday afternoon. I have a callback there Monday. If I don't get home tonight , I'd rather just stay at the airport hotel until Sunday and take the train to Firm Z, since it would be way less of a hassle.

If I ask the three firms to split the costs of the Friday and Saturday nights at the hotel, are they likely to? Or should I not bother?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Callback Reimbursement Question

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:40 pm

I would not ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Ok, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 pm

I was in the same situation after the weather grounded a lot of flights. I asked, but I already got a ding from my host firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm going to disagree and say I think it's worth the ask. Several of my friends requested a hotel for an extra night or two (often the weekend when they had interviews in the city on Friday and Monday, since it saves the firms 2 airplane/train rides), and all had their requests granted. You don't have quite that scenario, but I think politely asking could be worthwhile, as all they can say is no. Besides, most firms I interviewed with have a policy of providing a hotel for one night, plus one additional night if you're interviewing with multiple firms. Definitely check their reimbursement form to see what their policy is.

PotatoSalad

New

Postby PotatoSalad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to disagree and say I think it's worth the ask. Several of my friends requested a hotel for an extra night or two (often the weekend when they had interviews in the city on Friday and Monday, since it saves the firms 2 airplane/train rides), and all had their requests granted. You don't have quite that scenario, but I think politely asking could be worthwhile, as all they can say is no. Besides, most firms I interviewed with have a policy of providing a hotel for one night, plus one additional night if you're interviewing with multiple firms. Definitely check their reimbursement form to see what their policy is.

I think bold above is true for NYC. But I've definitely heard the contrary from firm in other markets: one hotel night per two firms interviewing with. It depends on reimbursement policies, but it sort of sounds like OP isn't in NYC.

Don't know if its worth the risk of besmirching your record with the firms (or indirectly letting them know you're interviewing in another city). It's maybe a tough call if you're truly stranded, but I know I'm too risk-averse to try it.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Postby NoLongerALurker » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I had callbacks Friday and Monday so asked the firms and they covered my hotel Saturday and Sunday so I didn't have to ship back and forth between NY and Boston. Offers at both. They ultimately don't care, honestly. Don't inconvenience yourself just to avoid asking (but do ask rather than just surprise reimburse requesting..)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

OP here, thanks all. Two of the firms are in NYC and one is in Cali. I might just get the hotel and ask in the next few days, and if they say no I'll just eat the cost of the hotel, since at least it's a cheap airport one. It doesn't look like I'm getting home this weekend regardless.

Return to “Legal Employment�