Recruiters – Tipping Point for Commission

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chiguy99

New

Recruiters – Tipping Point for Commission

Postby chiguy99 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am

At what point can a recruiter claim referral ownership over you with respect to specific firms? Situation: Recruiter cold calls me about a position at a specific firm. He/she doesn't have my resume and I explicitly don't allow them to reach out to firm to gauge their interest in someone with my background, even without my resume.

What would prevent me from me from submitting an app to that firm on my own? I have contacts at that firm and knew about the posting already. Seems ridiculous for the recruiter to be able to claim a connection with me, but then again, I know how they operate and their clear incentive to try and make this claim. Apologies if this is an obvious answer – I've never dealt with legal recruiters. Thanks.

BlueParrot

New

Re: Recruiters – Tipping Point for Commission

Postby BlueParrot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

The recruiter doesn't have a claim here. It's once they submit your materials to a firm that they have a right to a commission.

chiguy99

New

Re: Recruiters – Tipping Point for Commission

Postby chiguy99 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks for confirming my thoughts

Return to “Legal Employment?