How do i answer this question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do i answer this question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

A partner with whom I interviewed just asked when I plan to make a decision on which firm I will be summering with. At the interview, the partner asked how many callbacks I had and I told her I was interviewing with 4 other firms in the area. What does this question mean and is there a "wrong" answer (obviously I know not to say "today at 3:00 p.m.")

Thanks in advance for any advice.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How do i answer this question

Postby UVA2B » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't read into the question too much. People are fully aware of the entire hiring season backdrop, so they're not asking to see how committed you are to their firm per se. So when they asked who you're interviewing with and what sort of timeline you're working on, just tell them you're interviewing at a few places, and name the firms if they ask specifically. You can also reiterate your interest in their firm, while remaining noncommittal to a set timeline or insight into your decision-making.

Basically, just answer questions honestly when it requires, but be willing to reiterate your interest in the firm and their practice area. They want to know you want to be there, but you don't have to openly lie about the hiring process and interviewing at other firms.

Return to “Legal Employment�