Okay to ask about offer rate at second look? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Okay to ask about offer rate at second look?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Going to a second look next week and I noticed that 5 summers were not offered full time positions in 2016 (according to Vault). Unsure which office, but is it fair game to ask what percentage of summers they typically extend permanent offers to? What is a good way to frame it

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Okay to ask about offer rate at second look?

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm

I guess maybe you could ask but I'm not really sure what you're hoping to get out of the question. If Vault (or NALP) lists the offer rate what more are you looking for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Not original anon. I've heard rumors (not sure if true) of a previous no-offer at Cov. So if I were seriously considering accepting at a firm that's no-offered in the recent past, I'd want to hear more about the no-offers - were they due to fit? Work product? Does the firm make a practice of no-offering a certain # per summer class, or is a no-offer really reserved for rare & exceptional cases?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not original anon. I've heard rumors (not sure if true) of a previous no-offer at Cov. So if I were seriously considering accepting at a firm that's no-offered in the recent past, I'd want to hear more about the no-offers - were they due to fit? Work product? Does the firm make a practice of no-offering a certain # per summer class, or is a no-offer really reserved for rare & exceptional cases?
I can't imagine you're going to get a satisfying/real answer from the firm itself. Gossip from law school classmates/TLS would likely be much more helpful IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 pm

I mean, Covington DID have a no-offer

https://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_ ... gton%22%7D

But-are you planning on being 1 out of 61?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mean, Covington DID have a no-offer

https://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_ ... gton%22%7D

But-are you planning on being 1 out of 61?
Just to build on this, when a large summer class at a well-regarded firm has a single no offer, it was without a doubt for fit (ie. they did something the firm couldn't look past). Firms like this aren't so financially sensitive that they will no offer a summer to avoid the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”