Biglaw - Timeline re: Getting Asked to Leave

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw - Timeline re: Getting Asked to Leave

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 pm

So I work in biglaw in one of NYC/Chicago/SF and I'm in a strong corporate group. I'm a first year and my hours have been pretty good some months and really low other months. I'm basically just burnt out and hate the work. That's turned in to some pretty awkward conversations with partners whose work I'm rejecting. And while I'm on a few deals, I can almost guarantee I'm getting a reputation for turning down work and lowish hours. I doubt that's a very sustainable thing. Our first year reviews are coming out in the next month or two, also.

I have not gotten a talking to about hours or how much work I should be taking on yet. I'm sure it's coming. While I know this is obviously difficult to handicap, I'm wondering what sort of timeline I might be on for getting asked to leave. I'm applying elsewhere but just not sure whether I should just give notice or just keep making things awkward and ride out the next few months.

Thanks a lot.

Return to “Legal Employment�