S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm

I am currently deciding between S&C, STB, DPW, and Skadden. I am lucky to have offers at all 4. I am primarily interested in corporate work. Not necessarily sure between M&A/PE/Cap Markets/Credit. So I would like the opportunity to try as much as possible. I liked the people at DPW the most, followed by Skadden. I really like the generalist approach at S&C, and feel as though it would be the best way to start my career. Looking for any advice to help me narrow down this decision.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently deciding between S&C, STB, DPW, and Skadden. I am lucky to have offers at all 4. I am primarily interested in corporate work. Not necessarily sure between M&A/PE/Cap Markets/Credit. So I would like the opportunity to try as much as possible. I liked the people at DPW the most, followed by Skadden. I really like the generalist approach at S&C, and feel as though it would be the best way to start my career. Looking for any advice to help me narrow down this decision.


This almost exact same question was asked yesterday. Search the forum.

User avatar
bearsfan23

Gold
Posts: 1755
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Skadden

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm

The previous question did not include S&C which is where I am leaning currently.

$$$$$$

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:53 pm

They all suck, just pick one and know your life is gonna suck

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:They all suck, just pick one and know your life is gonna suck


this

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I am a Skadden M&A associate so maybe I can help here. These are all good options if this is what you want to do; they are also good options if you are still figuring out of this is what you want to do, because they will give good platforms to go someplace else. That said, here are some things to think about.

If you want to do M&A, STB and Skadden will most likely give you very different experiences. Skadden does a higher overall number of deals, but some of these are smaller, for a wide variety of clients. This is good in a way. People are like "oh just do megadeals bro" but I think there are advantages to where I am at. I get to work on some mega deals, which have bigger teams, so you have a smaller role but you learn from people. I also get to work on smaller deals, where the teams are smaller, and you get to play a larger role and apply those same lessons. Also, every single thing is something new, very few repeats of the same thing. Of course the lifestyle is crap, but it will be no matter where you are.

STB does huge PE deals but my understanding is that they have like 3 giant clients who make up a huge percentage of their revenue, so you can get pigeonholed into working with one client or another (like, you'll be "the KKR guy / gal"). On the other hand, here, there are some clients where I'm on "the team," but I'm in general very spread out. Being with one team could be fine, but it also might not be. Just like Cravath: working for one partner for a year MIGHT be okay, but what if you hate the dude? Then that sucks, and your experience is circumscribed. I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are to this kind of thing. Also, you might not even like PE. Big PE seems fine, but middle market PE is just a constant pit-fight and I personally want no more of it. We don't do as much PE, although we do some. It's certainly not "none."

I can't really speak as much to S&C and DPW, although I know they have smart folks and do high quality work in these fields. Just to say it though,the only person who ever was so universally deficient that they truly, absolutely ruined my life for a period of time happened to be at DPW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Skadden M&A associate so maybe I can help here. These are all good options if this is what you want to do; they are also good options if you are still figuring out of this is what you want to do, because they will give good platforms to go someplace else. That said, here are some things to think about.

If you want to do M&A, STB and Skadden will most likely give you very different experiences. Skadden does a higher overall number of deals, but some of these are smaller, for a wide variety of clients. This is good in a way. People are like "oh just do megadeals bro" but I think there are advantages to where I am at. I get to work on some mega deals, which have bigger teams, so you have a smaller role but you learn from people. I also get to work on smaller deals, where the teams are smaller, and you get to play a larger role and apply those same lessons. Also, every single thing is something new, very few repeats of the same thing. Of course the lifestyle is crap, but it will be no matter where you are.

STB does huge PE deals but my understanding is that they have like 3 giant clients who make up a huge percentage of their revenue, so you can get pigeonholed into working with one client or another (like, you'll be "the KKR guy / gal"). On the other hand, here, there are some clients where I'm on "the team," but I'm in general very spread out. Being with one team could be fine, but it also might not be. Just like Cravath: working for one partner for a year MIGHT be okay, but what if you hate the dude? Then that sucks, and your experience is circumscribed. I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are to this kind of thing. Also, you might not even like PE. Big PE seems fine, but middle market PE is just a constant pit-fight and I personally want no more of it. We don't do as much PE, although we do some. It's certainly not "none."

I can't really speak as much to S&C and DPW, although I know they have smart folks and do high quality work in these fields. Just to say it though,the only person who ever was so universally deficient that they truly, absolutely ruined my life for a period of time happened to be at DPW.


As an STB M&A associate, just want to say that this is not really an accurate reflection of STB M&A. While it is true that we don't do much midmarket PE, (i) STB has more than 3 mega PE clients, (ii) there is no such thing as being "the KKR guy" or "the Blackstone guy" until you are up for partner, and (iii) the group does a pretty even amount of strategic and PE work (particularly when you account for the fact that most deals on behalf of portfolio companies are the legal equivalent of strategic deals).

User avatar
Wild Card

Bronze
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Wild Card » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Is this just an opportunity for you to brag about your offers?

Make second visits, talk to law school alumni who are several years out.

STB has glass cubicles.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Just go with whichever firm you liked the people at best. They're all top tier and you don't even know what practice you'll end up in yet. As the above poster talked about, there are differences in terms of the client bases in say, the M&A practice, but you're not even a summer yet. You don't know what those differences translate to in terms of work, nevermind which one you'll enjoy more (or if you'll even enjoy corporate practice at all because you've never done it). If you clearly clicked with one group of people the most, go there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm

"As an STB M&A associate, just want to say that this is not really an accurate reflection of STB M&A. While it is true that we don't do much midmarket PE, (i) STB has more than 3 mega PE clients, (ii) there is no such thing as being "the KKR guy" or "the Blackstone guy" until you are up for partner, and (iii) the group does a pretty even amount of strategic and PE work (particularly when you account for the fact that most deals on behalf of portfolio companies are the legal equivalent of strategic deals)."

Okay fair, that is just what i had heard a while back from a departing associate who may not have been jazzed about how things turned out for them. I should have caveated.

And fair point re: the portco work.

Maybe the balance isn't as different as i thought, but you WILL do less PE with Skadden, that i think is still true.

bluthmodelhome

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: S&C v STB v DPW v Skadden

Postby bluthmodelhome » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Safe to assume you are asking about NY?



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.