Minnesota OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
akjim101

New

Minnesota OCI

Post by akjim101 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Seems like every other school has an OCI page so I figured I'd start one for University of Minnesota. Students from St. Thomas and Mitchel-Hamline to post here as well since we're all essentially interviewing for the same firms. I've had 8 interviews so far, haven't heard back from any of the firms yet. Other feel free to post when you hear back.

akjim101

New

Re: Minnesota OCI

Post by akjim101 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 pm

First week of OCI is over at UMN. Has anyone heard from any of the firms (dings or CBs)?

stereoskater

New

Post by stereoskater » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes still waiting to hear back. Eager for something from Robins Kaplan

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Can't provide much insight here, but MN T14 student who turned down multiple CBs at MN firms. Good luck to everyone in the job hunt!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:07 am

Has anyone heard from Fish or Carlson?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't provide much insight here, but MN T14 student who turned down multiple CBs at MN firms. Good luck to everyone in the job hunt!
What was the point of this post? Other than you being a dick, I mean.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 am

Non local rising 2L here. I just declined an offer from one of the larger MN firms yesterday, so I hope that will speed up the recruiting process a little bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Have any UMN, St. Thomas, or Mitchel-Hamline students heard back from ANY of the firms from OCI? I'm a transfer student, so I don't know anyone to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't provide much insight here, but MN T14 student who turned down multiple CBs at MN firms. Good luck to everyone in the job hunt!
It came off way more dickish than I meant, tbh. Because the market is a bit dichotomous with locals at T14/people at the local Universities, I only wanted to encourage those still wanting jobs in MSP to know that at least one person targeting the MN market has given up in the market.

I'm sorry for being a dick here, but I sincerely meant it to encourage those who really want the MN market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
It came off way more dickish than I meant, tbh. Because the market is a bit dichotomous with locals at T14/people at the local Universities, I only wanted to encourage those still wanting jobs in MSP to know that at least one person targeting the MN market has given up in the market.

I'm sorry for being a dick here, but I sincerely meant it to encourage those who really want the MN market.
I don't think you came off as a dick, but, somewhat blunt. Some may take bluntness as being rude.

A more tactful way of putting it would have been along the lines of, "I know a few MN firms have started the CB process, as I received a few. I'm looking at a different market though, best of luck to everyone."

You are conveying the same message, but cutting out the superfluous (and blunt) detail (i.e., that you're a T14 student, and there's no need to mention that you turned down "multiple" CBs, mainly because many would kill to just have one).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have any UMN, St. Thomas, or Mitchel-Hamline students heard back from ANY of the firms from OCI? I'm a transfer student, so I don't know anyone to ask.
I am a 2L at Mitchell. I had 7 screener interviews the week of August 14 and 1 screener the following week. 3 callbacks completed and 2 offers so far with 2 callbacks remaining. Haven't heard anything from the remaining 3 (of the 8 initial interviews) firms and I'm assuming those are dings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Sounds like you decided against MN between applying and getting CB offers. What made you decide against MN?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Sounds like you decided against MN between applying and getting CB offers. What made you decide against MN?
I had an offer in another market that interested me more. You can get really good work at some good firms in MN, but the pay lags other markets pretty significantly and I just had more interest in a slightly larger market.

I would've liked going back to MN if it worked out that way, but in my mind MN will always struggle with market pay at $120k vs. $180k in a bunch of other markets (excepting firms like Fish and Jones Day that pay above market). It's a reality of having different attorney fee structures and generally keeping their big corporate clients happy by charging a discount in comparison to some other big firms in the bigger markets.

Anyway, this is all just to say that MN is a great legal market and I wish the rest of you sincerely the best of luck in nailing down jobs there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Fair. Good luck to ya'll.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Ding from Fish today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would've liked going back to MN if it worked out that way, but in my mind MN will always struggle with market pay at $120k vs. $180k in a bunch of other markets (excepting firms like Fish and Jones Day that pay above market). It's a reality of having different attorney fee structures and generally keeping their big corporate clients happy by charging a discount in comparison to some other big firms in the bigger markets.

Anyway, this is all just to say that MN is a great legal market and I wish the rest of you sincerely the best of luck in nailing down jobs there!
FYI -- market in Minneapolis for entry level is no longer $120. It is at $140. (Dorsey and Faegre are there; others are likely to follow; as you said some like Jones Day are already above).

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would've liked going back to MN if it worked out that way, but in my mind MN will always struggle with market pay at $120k vs. $180k in a bunch of other markets (excepting firms like Fish and Jones Day that pay above market). It's a reality of having different attorney fee structures and generally keeping their big corporate clients happy by charging a discount in comparison to some other big firms in the bigger markets.

FYI -- market in Minneapolis for entry level is no longer $120. It is at $140. (Dorsey and Faegre are there; others are likely to follow; as you said some like Jones Day are already above).
Damn I wonder if this will bifurcate salaries like lSt Louis and Kansas City

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just saw this and had to confirm on NALP, but impressed it finally happened. I wonder which firms will match, particularly the locals. I'm assuming at least Robins, Gray Plant, Winthrop, and Frederickson will match, but it'll be interesting to see which other firms match as a result.

This has been a long time coming.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just saw this and had to confirm on NALP, but impressed it finally happened. I wonder which firms will match, particularly the locals. I'm assuming at least Robins, Gray Plant, Winthrop, and Frederickson will match, but it'll be interesting to see which other firms match as a result.

As a clerk planning to return, this is very good news indeed!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 pm

At this point should I just assume any firms I haven't heard back from are dings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:At this point should I just assume any firms I haven't heard back from are dings?
No -- some firms are slow. Also, most firms in town have small class sizes and so need to stagger their decisions to avoid overdoing it. Obviously silence isn't a good sign, but it isn't necessarily a bad sign either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just saw this and had to confirm on NALP, but impressed it finally happened. I wonder which firms will match, particularly the locals. I'm assuming at least Robins, Gray Plant, Winthrop, and Frederickson will match, but it'll be interesting to see which other firms match as a result.

It has been a long time coming. It is possible, but I would be surprised if Gray Plant or Winthrop match. The fact that Dorsey and Faegre were paying the same or less than them them was truly ridiculous. They are fine firms, but truly local firms with different models. Look to Robins, Fredrikson and the AmLaw 200 firms, like Fox, Ballard, Stinson to be more likely to match. Barnes is a cheap sweatshop and probably won't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 am

It's been two weeks since my last CB, and three weeks since my other three- at what point do I start panicking/mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's been two weeks since my last CB, and three weeks since my other three- at what point do I start panicking/mass mailing?
Who were your callbacks with? And if you ask TLS, you should have already been mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:08 am

Has anyone heard from Bassford, Dewitt, or Carlson?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”