Shearman & Sterling vs. Allen & Overy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shearman & Sterling vs. Allen & Overy

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Both NYC office, I'm interested in corporate work - M&A, capital markets, project finance, private equity. Pretty sure not gonna do lit.
International background, would like to do work with international flavors.
Also, what's the record on return offer rate for these two firms?
Thank you so much!

Anonymous User

Re: Shearman & Sterling vs. Allen & Overy

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Both NYC office, I'm interested in corporate work - M&A, capital markets, project finance, private equity. Pretty sure not gonna do lit.
International background, would like to do work with international flavors.
Also, what's the record on return offer rate for these two firms?
Thank you so much!

Congrats on your offers, however you should know that both of these firms have had a couple rocky years since 2009. They're both very well-regarded (more so than my current firm, to be sure), but have had some growing pains. Shearman is definitely doing fine these days while, occasionally, I hear negative rumors about the financial health of Allen & Overy. A&O is so big, however, that it is not in danger of going anywhere anytime soon. Both firms almost always give 100% offers, even to underperforming SAs.

Since NYC is the hq for Shearman (as well as the location of most of its rainmakers), all of those practice groups will be better represented there than at A&O (which is a smaller office). Shearman kind of has a sweatshoppy reputation, but no more so than other NYC shops. I would go with S&S unless you want to have a strong connection to UK work through your firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Mind me asking when your screener was? I got the cb last week and could only schedule it in Sep :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Do you mind sharing when your CB ---> Offer dates/timeline was? or at least the timespan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mind sharing when your CB ---> Offer dates/timeline was? or at least the timespan?

I'm not OP, but I did a CB with shearman last Thursday and got a ding email today. Did a CB with A&O last tuesday, and got an offer wednesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10 am

Did cb with A&O last Friday, still haven't heard anything yet. Dinged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 am

OP here.
Did both CBs the first week of August. --- A&O turnaround 9 days; Shearman 12 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 am

My mentor was a former Shearman attorney and was on the partner track. From my conversations with her these are a few of the main points.

-you're expected to work around the clock and be available around the clock (I'm sure that's the same for many other firms)
-the people are great, but sometimes don't understand that family commitments are just as important as work commitments
-the offices are nice (she had offers at Skadden and a few other BigLaw firms and liked their office much more than the others)
-the work is very interesting

If you'd like I'd be happy to connect you and my mentor so she can tell you more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 am

OP, I'm the kid of the head of one of the practice group areas you mentioned at Shearman, happen to be starting law school next week. I agree with everything the person above said, having watched my parent work 24/7 while I was growing up. There definitely is an expectation that you be available 24/7. I know that this parent worked much longer hours than my other parent (also a partner but at a less rigorous firm and eventually this parent left Biglaw for midlaw). However, if you do work hard and are smart the partners at Shearman are very willing to help you rise through the ranks in your career. I've witnessed my parent help many associates become partner over the years and I've witnessed this parent help associates land great in house positions. I know nothing about the other firm you're considering, but wanted to second what the poster above said about Shearman having high expectations and the work being around the clock (not as a summer, but certainly as a first year).

Return to “Legal Employment�