Screener partner offered help for callback interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 312937
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am

I have had two screeners where the partners gave me cbs and offered to help me with my cb interview. One asked me to give him a call after my schedule comes out so that he can tell me about the background of my interviewers and the other wrote an email separately from the cb email asking me if I need help in any way. I guess this is firm dependent because I haven't seen this kind of gesture very often. How should I respond? I know they are probably just being nice but I don't know if a "thanks I am good" email will be appropriate. Thanks!

QContinuum

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby QContinuum » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

I'd take them up on the offer - you never know if a particular partner you'll be meeting has some unique quirk or interviewing style, and any advance insights can only be helpful.

User avatar
RSN

Silver
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby RSN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:22 am

A hundred percent reach out, and substantively. They're doing it for your benefit, not theirs. Call the first one, and respond to the second one who sent you the email with some basic questions and/or the list of your CB interviewers when you have it (just proofread your email a thousand times for typos). They've clearly taken an interest in you and want to help you succeed, so you should take them up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312937
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have had two screeners where the partners gave me cbs and offered to help me with my cb interview. One asked me to give him a call after my schedule comes out so that he can tell me about the background of my interviewers and the other wrote an email separately from the cb email asking me if I need help in any way. I guess this is firm dependent because I haven't seen this kind of gesture very often. How should I respond? I know they are probably just being nice but I don't know if a "thanks I am good" email will be appropriate. Thanks!


I would reach out. I always offer this help to candidates I really liked from OCI as I want them to be successful in their callbacks. I think I've only had one reach out to go over their schedule though.

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby lolwat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have had two screeners where the partners gave me cbs and offered to help me with my cb interview. One asked me to give him a call after my schedule comes out so that he can tell me about the background of my interviewers and the other wrote an email separately from the cb email asking me if I need help in any way. I guess this is firm dependent because I haven't seen this kind of gesture very often. How should I respond? I know they are probably just being nice but I don't know if a "thanks I am good" email will be appropriate. Thanks!


If I've taken enough of an interest in an applicant to go out of my way to offer help/advice for a CB, and all I got back was a "thanks I'm good," I might very well change my perception of the applicant to something like, "I really liked them but they apparently don't give much of a fuck about the firm or doing well at the CB."

Anonymous User
Posts: 312937
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have had two screeners where the partners gave me cbs and offered to help me with my cb interview. One asked me to give him a call after my schedule comes out so that he can tell me about the background of my interviewers and the other wrote an email separately from the cb email asking me if I need help in any way. I guess this is firm dependent because I haven't seen this kind of gesture very often. How should I respond? I know they are probably just being nice but I don't know if a "thanks I am good" email will be appropriate. Thanks!


If I've taken enough of an interest in an applicant to go out of my way to offer help/advice for a CB, and all I got back was a "thanks I'm good," I might very well change my perception of the applicant to something like, "I really liked them but they apparently don't give much of a fuck about the firm or doing well at the CB."


OP here. I see your point and I guess I was asking merely because I have been afraid that the more I talk the more mistakes I will make, but I will definitely reach out to them.

Lawnghorn_2018

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Screener partner offered help for callback interview

Postby Lawnghorn_2018 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have had two screeners where the partners gave me cbs and offered to help me with my cb interview. One asked me to give him a call after my schedule comes out so that he can tell me about the background of my interviewers and the other wrote an email separately from the cb email asking me if I need help in any way. I guess this is firm dependent because I haven't seen this kind of gesture very often. How should I respond? I know they are probably just being nice but I don't know if a "thanks I am good" email will be appropriate. Thanks!


If I've taken enough of an interest in an applicant to go out of my way to offer help/advice for a CB, and all I got back was a "thanks I'm good," I might very well change my perception of the applicant to something like, "I really liked them but they apparently don't give much of a fuck about the firm or doing well at the CB."


OP here. I see your point and I guess I was asking merely because I have been afraid that the more I talk the more mistakes I will make, but I will definitely reach out to them.


It's cliche but try to have more confidence for christ's sake. You have multiple CB interviews, so you will be spending plenty of time talking to lawyers. Reach out to these lawyers and ask substantive questions that you believe will give you an advantage in a CB interview. If you are unable to write an email without fucking up, odds are you probably won't fair too well in a CB interview anyway. As another stated above, just proof read your emails carefully and you will be fine. Good luck!



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.