1 callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1 callback

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello TLS

I have 1 callback and I would really like to turn this into an offer. I also don't want to sound too desperate during the interview. Any advice? Thanks all!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 1 callback

Postby UVA2B » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 pm

What kind of encouragement are you looking for here? You've passed their first hiring gate, and they're seriously considering you for employment. Feel good about that. Now you should do what you can to learn about their business and how you want to come in and add value to that business. Make sure you show excitement about the firm, the work they do, and how you'll fit in with that firm.

Congrats on your CB interview, but now is the time to buckle down and learn everything you can about the firm and those that will be interviewing you. Now is arguably the most critical point of impressing people on the interpersonal level that you have to overcome.

Use the confidence from being selected for a CB and show why you should be hired by the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 pm

As hard as it is, don't stress about it too much. Nerves show. Instead, just really buckle down and research the firm. Google common legal interview questions and literally write out prepared responses to each of them. Write out your answer to why this firm. Speak to upperclassmen from your school who summered there about their experiences (or even associate alumni) so you can say that you've spoken to people from there and show that you're really interested.

Mostly, just be yourself. They just want to see if you'll fit. Don't let your nerves get the best of you. I had very low screener -> callback conversation and managed to get an offer by focusing and having some confidence rather than just nerves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello TLS

I have 1 callback and I would really like to turn this into an offer. I also don't want to sound too desperate during the interview. Any advice? Thanks all!

In the same position and hope for the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Confidence is the most important thing I think. Just be calm and collected, have a few normal questions and try to keep conversations .... conversational. In my experience people that are calm and conversational are the best interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello TLS

Hi, not OP; just giving some advice. I only had two screeners and was rejected from one and got a callback at the other. My GPA was lower than the firm's floor. You need to remember that if you have made it past the screening stage, they likely won't pay much more attention to your GPA. Callbacks are for you to shine, show that you can interview, and are a great fit. Great interviews are conversational; good or mediocre interviews focus on the resume. Get a dialogue going with whomever you are interviewing and put your best foot forward.

I was in this exact same position, and I got an offer from a V50 that turned into a full time 180K a year offer at the end of the summer. Be confident. Don't let nerves show. You'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�