Kirkland Ellis SF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland Ellis SF

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Anyone have any insight?

I'm a mid level litigation lateral considering this firm.

Not worried about hours or worklifebalance but I've heard vague stories of screamer partners and that definitely concerns me.

Legal_Octopus

New

Re: Kirkland Ellis SF

Post by Legal_Octopus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:55 am

My understanding is that this office revolves around two practice areas: M&A and Patent Lit. It sounds like they are relatively isolated from one another and have different work cultures. Which would you be lateraling to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

Going there for litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Legal_Octopus wrote:My understanding is that this office revolves around two practice areas: M&A and Patent Lit. It sounds like they are relatively isolated from one another and have different work cultures. Which would you be lateraling to?
Current Kirkland SF Associate here.

M&A and Patent Lit are the two most prominent groups in this office, however the Investment Funds group has been growing and from what I hear dominating that market in the Bay Area.

I think the above advice, that the groups have different cultures, is accurate. I think that's the case with most offices, though.

The best advice I can give is to speak with an associate in your desired practice group. In my experience, associates are willing to be transparent if you're straight forward with them and are able to get them on the phone rather than putting their opinion in writing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Legal_Octopus wrote:My understanding is that this office revolves around two practice areas: M&A and Patent Lit. It sounds like they are relatively isolated from one another and have different work cultures. Which would you be lateraling to?
Current Kirkland SF Associate here.

M&A and Patent Lit are the two most prominent groups in this office, however the Investment Funds group has been growing and from what I hear dominating that market in the Bay Area.

I think the above advice, that the groups have different cultures, is accurate. I think that's the case with most offices, though.

The best advice I can give is to speak with an associate in your desired practice group. In my experience, associates are willing to be transparent if you're straight forward with them and are able to get them on the phone rather than putting their opinion in writing.
Thanks -- I'll try to do this. Can you share anything about your life at Kirkland? Hours? Overall satisfaction? People?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insight?

Not worried about hours or worklifebalance but I've heard vague stories of screamer partners and that definitely concerns me.
One of the three lit share partners in SF isn't a screamer per se, but she is actually insane.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insight?

One of the three lit share partners in SF isn't a screamer per se, but she is actually insane.
HAH. explain?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”