Cooley LLP Interview Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cooley LLP Interview Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Is anyone familiar with the interview process at Cooley LLP? I am doing some research and see that they ask behavioral questions in interviews, and wanted to know if anyone had specific examples of what was/is generally asked. Looking for a corporate position. Many thanks in advance.

LaLiLuLeLo

Re: Cooley LLP Interview Questions

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:22 pm

What? How do you think interviews work in biglaw? We don't have a set of questions, we just...talk to you. Everybody is obviously different and has their own style. It's all "behavioral" because we just want to see if you're cool and tolerable to work with or not.

But I guess other firms could do things differently, though I find that hard to believe. Not a Cooley associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 pm

I did a CB with Cooley last year and they did a lot of behavioral "tell me about a time you ______" questions that were different from the normal callback chit-chat.

The attorneys each had a sheet in front of them (presumably given from recruiting) of those types of questions to ask. When a meeting was getting close to the 30 minute mark, the interviewing attorney would stop the conversation and be like "oh, I have questions I have to ask you!" and would make sure to ask them. So, I think it's a hard requirement from recruiting.

I think they were pretty easy questions, like "tell me about a time you failed," "tell me about a time you solved a problem," etc. But have some quick anecdotes ready for those types of questions.

LaLiLuLeLo

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a CB with Cooley last year and they did a lot of behavioral "tell me about a time you ______" questions that were different from the normal callback chit-chat.

The attorneys each had a sheet in front of them (presumably given from recruiting) of those types of questions to ask. When a meeting was getting close to the 30 minute mark, the interviewing attorney would stop the conversation and be like "oh, I have questions I have to ask you!" and would make sure to ask them. So, I think it's a hard requirement from recruiting.

I think they were pretty easy questions, like "tell me about a time you failed," "tell me about a time you solved a problem," etc. But have some quick anecdotes ready for those types of questions.

Huh. TIL. Totally bizarre.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Cooley was my only screening interview at OCI that asked behavioral questions, fwiw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 pm

OP here. Thank you for the responses thus far. Is anyone familiar with Cooley's policy not to align partner compensation with origination? This sounds reminiscent of New York lockstep; was wondering if this is something describing as a reason for looking to work at the firm (i.e., making the firm more collaborative).

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you for the responses thus far. Is anyone familiar with Cooley's policy not to align partner compensation with origination? This sounds reminiscent of New York lockstep; was wondering if this is something describing as a reason for looking to work at the firm (i.e., making the firm more collaborative).

Unless its something they proudly advertise/or are well known for (e.g., Cravath, Deb, etc.) then I probably wouldn't bring it up.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you for the responses thus far. Is anyone familiar with Cooley's policy not to align partner compensation with origination? This sounds reminiscent of New York lockstep; was wondering if this is something describing as a reason for looking to work at the firm (i.e., making the firm more collaborative).

In general, partner compensation models are not something you should bring up in an interview.

As for your original question, most screeners callbacks are "soft behavioral" in that the firm is just trying to get a sense of who you are as a person. But I have had a few interviews that were "hard behavioral," and I guess Cooley does this firmwide. The main difference is that hard behavioral interviews are more like actual interviews--i.e., the goal isn't necessarily to just "have a good conversation." You actually need to answer the questions. To that end, don't be afraid to ask for "a few seconds or so" to compose your replies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:31 pm

I summered with Cooley this past year. I think you might be overthinking this callback. Cooley is a pretty laid back firm. They achieve a collaborative environment by hiring people they think will work hard and play nice with others. If you have a callback, then someone already identified you as a good candidate, so you should just relax. I don't think the associates/partners who interview you will be impressed with in depth analysis of their partnership structure. They'll be more impressed if you tell them you want to work with startups because you think it's fun and interesting to build companies from the ground up and form relationships with founders. Startups are the firm's bread and butter. Also tell them that you heard Cooley gives summer associates and first years a bigger role on projects than other firms. That should be enough to convince them that you're interested in the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”