Does Distance of City mean Greater Chance of Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does Distance of City mean Greater Chance of Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:00 pm

So if you go to NYU or Columbia and are focused on NYC, I could see them calling back more people then offers. If your on the other side of the nation and they pay to fly you out and hotel etc, do you have a greater chance or are they still bringing in the same amount of people from your school?

Anonymous User

Re: Does Distance of City mean Greater Chance of Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if you go to NYU or Columbia and are focused on NYC, I could see them calling back more people then offers. If your on the other side of the nation and they pay to fly you out and hotel etc, do you have a greater chance or are they still bringing in the same amount of people from your school?

the point of the CB is for them to determine if they like you enough to work with you, regardless of who else from that school got one too. I'm positive that where you flew in from is not a factor in getting an offer.

BlueParrot

Postby BlueParrot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Large firms don't care and I wouldn't read much into the fact that they are willing to fly you in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Actually I talked to a recruiter who said to some extent it does matter. If they plan to make 15 offers from students at your school and the school is located in the same city, you might bring in 30-40 students for CBs. If the school is in a different state, they first, probably take a lower number, but also fly out a lower number too. If there's five or so slots for your school, maybe they fly out 7-10 kids. That's why it's so important to show an interest in a firm and location if you are going for a different market because they're not gonna fly you out if they're not 100% convinced you have a shot. If your a subway ride away, and they're on the fence, you may get that CB.

BlueParrot

Postby BlueParrot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Actually I talked to a recruiter who said to some extent it does matter. If they plan to make 15 offers from students at your school and the school is located in the same city, you might bring in 30-40 students for CBs. If the school is in a different state, they first, probably take a lower number, but also fly out a lower number too. If there's five or so slots for your school, maybe they fly out 7-10 kids. That's why it's so important to show an interest in a firm and location if you are going for a different market because they're not gonna fly you out if they're not 100% convinced you have a shot. If your a subway ride away, and they're on the fence, you may get that CB.

Interesting. At my firm, there is no difference. They care more about the inconvenience it is for partners to have to do a bunch of interviews than the travel costs- but every firm is different obviously.

Return to “Legal Employment”