10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:12 am

Hi! I had two callbacks ten days ago in NY (V20 and V50 firms). Already got dinged by the V50 firm, but heard nothing from the other firm. How likely am I to get a ding as well? Honestly thought both my CBs went well, have a specific background that they seemed to be interested in (I was told over and over how they are always looking for someone with my very specific skills). I kind of expected a ding from the V50 firm because they have a small summer class (8/9 people), but the other firm will be hiring three times more summer associates.

Any advice? The recruiter told me to stay in touch if anything happens (i.e. I have an offer from another firm and have a deadline), but also said she would try to get back to candidates as soon as possible.

This is my first time doing this so I'm obviously overthinking every single uttered word to exhaustion...
Thanks!

User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I had two callbacks ten days ago in NY (V20 and V50 firms). Already got dinged by the V50 firm, but heard nothing from the other firm. How likely am I to get a ding as well? Honestly thought both my CBs went well, have a specific background that they seemed to be interested in (I was told over and over how they are always looking for someone with my very specific skills). I kind of expected a ding from the V50 firm because they have a small summer class (8/9 people), but the other firm will be hiring three times more summer associates.

Any advice? The recruiter told me to stay in touch if anything happens (i.e. I have an offer from another firm and have a deadline), but also said she would try to get back to candidates as soon as possible.

This is my first time doing this so I'm obviously overthinking every single uttered word to exhaustion...
Thanks!


The longer you go without hearing from them, the more likely it is that you'll be dinged. But don't give up hope. I know people have received offers more than two weeks after their CBs.

BlueParrot
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby BlueParrot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:29 pm

You should be prepared for a ding. It's not impossible that you still get an offer, but firms typically give out offers quickly after CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 pm

You'd have better odds if this were off-season, as sometimes off-season 3L hires can take longer (due to hiring committee meetings and such).

Because this is in the height of recruiting season, the length of time is not a good sign.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Likely ding or waiting for other candidates to accept/decline.

persia1921
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby persia1921 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Keep your chin up. Your likely on the waitlist. During OCI I received offers up to 4 weeks after callbacks. Not NY but I suspect it works similarly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:15 pm

OP here. Thank you all for your replies! It sucks, I was so excited because one of the partners I interviewed with actually stopped at another partner's office just to introduce me (when he was taking me to my next interview) and kept talking to me like it was a given that I would join them. Plus, the partner whom I interviewed with at OCI stopped by to say hello as well, which makes the ding so much worse! :|

Would it be okay to email the recruiter and ask about a timeframe? She insisted I should keep in touch with her but I have no idea if it's common practice or not.

Thanks again!

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I've had similar things happen. I once even had an interviewer straight up tell me he really hoped I chose them, only to not receive an offer. It's definitely a bummer. I think it couldn't hurt to send an email to recruiting Monday morning just reiterating your interest, but I would try not to dwell on it and instead focus your energy on other interviews and opportunities.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293744
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 10 days post-CB in NY and no news = ding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

You can of course write to the recruiter to ask for timeframes but my guess is they probably won't know and will only give you standard answers. I wouldn't be too worried tho because several big schools, including NYU and Harvard, have just finished their on campus interviews so your firm might want to wait and see. Also don't take it personal and let it get to you because firms do sell themselves as hard as a law student sells himself/herself. It is kind of the interviewer's job to attract you to the firm - while the actual decision making might be an independent process. That being said, if another two weeks passed by and you still hadn't heard a thing, a bold move would be to write an email to the partner about your continued interests and he might be able to change it if he really likes you and is very senior (only do this when you have nothing to lose).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.